Hob ferrets

If just using hobs i would expect to be digging to 20% of the rabbits. Some times and places i avoid using hobs for this reason but they do seem to get the job done, whereas my much smaller jills work like troopers but just struggle with a stubborn rabbit.

Personally i work nothing but castrated hobs and get excellent results.

FT

Doesnt castrating the hobs take the agression away from them like with dogs.

It prevents most sexual aggression but it makes no difference at all to their working ability.

I have hobs on my team but I do prefer jills for places where digging is not possible. That being said, in the places where it is then the hobs certainly get the job done!

im with my i work a hob as my main worker also have a jill that i take out now and again i find the hob a realy quick ferret he always kills in on the first one or two but never stays with them which i find is a good thing as most sets i do are realy deep but after that he shifts them out pretty quick but i will breed him with my jill this year and keep some jills back for next season for small sets up hedgerows/tree stumps etc atb

FT

It prevents most sexual aggression but it makes no difference at all to their working ability.

I have hobs on my team but I do prefer jills for places where digging is not possible. That being said, in the places where it is then the hobs certainly get the job done!

DOES IT STOP THEM FROM KILLING AS MUCH. AS I WOULD DIG UPTO 3FT FOR A FERRET

You'd give up if it was 4 feet? :thumbdown:

NO I WOULDNT START DIGGING. IVE ONLY GOT JILLS SO I DONT THINK THEY WOULD STAY. :feck:

Fair enough . . . not sure if i deserve the finger! There are just a lot of idiots on here who'd probably leave a ferret if it seemed like too much hard work digging it out. But your right - i use jills and they mostly come back to me because they get bored with dead rabbits :thumbs:

FT

DOES IT STOP THEM FROM KILLING AS MUCH. AS I WOULD DIG UPTO 3FT FOR A FERRET

No mate, they will be just as hard on the rabbits once done. :yes: I've worked hobs intact for a few seasons and then had them castrated and then back to work, I didn't notice any change in their working at all, except that they won't pester the other ferrets.