Just my luck!!

Ahh lovely day today so went a long walk with my lurcher, thought about going ferreting soo that was the plan (not knowin i was going to get hailed upon!) Well me and my mate took to the feilds, found some good holes, ferret down, 2 bolted grrr!!

Then we saw the 3rd bolt and go down another burrow, so we took to the burrow knowing the rabbit was down. 20 mins past, rabbit squealing - ferret had it by the head n pulled it back down the hole - i thought NOWAY!! Still im at home now after being snowed upon n hailed- shoved loads of turf in the entries of the burrow and will b returning there in the morning.

I am gutted! But will get my ferrets back no problem!!

£100 down that hole at the moment - male ferret was snipped a yr ago so im hopin he dont dig out anytime soon.

Best of luck to all you guys - hope u get better luck than myself! :no:

FM

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its never a good idea to ferret a rabbit thats just slipped the nets an gone down another hole - they are very very unlikely to bolt as they know whats above ground an will usually take their chances

i been fetteting for years never had a locator ever they always come out after np longer than 30 min but on reading some of the things on here going to get one this week

Definatley the way forward.   Soon pay for itself.   dug down many a time and retrieved the ferret with the added bonus of more than one rabbit jammed up a stop end.saves loads of time to which a

Its never a good idea to ferret a rabbit thats just slipped the nets an gone down another hole - they are very very unlikely to bolt as they know whats above ground an will usually take their chances with the ferret.

• Like 1

Had two kick out of my badly set nets today, watched them drop into the next warren. They bolted out of that faster than they came out the first time.

If they have won a battle underground you'll find they will stay underground and try again, if they got away bolting, you'll probs find they will try it again unless they were really hard pressed by a dog or bird.

we had one slip the long net :censored: went into a 6 holer when we had a look decided to do it and 3 bolted and 1 slipped the net :wallbash: not sure if it was the same one :hmm: if it waas it was 1 lucky bunny :doh: most of the time i will do the set unless its under tree roots that i dont think i could dig easy :boxing:

I usually just give them the time it takes me todo another set and then come back.

Aye well i did that too, but neither of the ferrets came back out so i know they have been fed, will fetch them back in the morning! Thats twice my hob has layed up i may need muzzle the bugger lol

FM

I usually just give them the time it takes me todo another set and then come back.

Aye well i did that too, but neither of the ferrets came back out so i know they have been fed, will fetch them back in the morning! Thats twice my hob has layed up i may need muzzle the bugger lol

FM

A finder would be a better idea mate. Muzzles are a crap idea due to the fact you are taking away their only defence system. If they met a big rat it'd get hammered :boxing: . I'd of thought that after going to the trouble and expence of vasectomising a Hob, you'd at least invest in a Locator set :whistling::thumbs:

Aye get a locater! Also do you feed them before? If not they are lable tohave a wee feed and then maybe a snooze. Muzzels are a bigno no for the above reason and also if they get lost they will stare to death.

Yea i wasnt too keen on the idea of muzzels either but i thought it would be an easy solution. Anyway if i had got one i dont think i would even manage to get it on him. Aye alot of people say why dont i get a locator since i have a vesectimised hob, reason is cos i dont see the point in them. They can too go wrong. Come off the ferret or somthing.

But Anyway i stuffed turf in both holes to block them in over night, i arrived to the spot this morning, something had been diggin at one hole and had left it wide open to the world at 1st i thought NOWAY....this is gettin to be a joke. But No i got my wee workers back safe and sound.

Im actually wantin another jill to work instead of using hob as i really dont wanna loose him and he seems pretty powerful. It wasnt the smallest of rabs he tackled yesterday either soo it goes to show.

Yea i didnt feed them before maybe i should of done, and will do from now on but only a wee snack, i dont want them sleeping on the job lol! :icon_redface:

Anyone sellin or wanting away any jills? no probs with servicin her in the spring i got big boy hob to do that :clapper: .

Cheers

FM ;)

Yea i wasnt too keen on the idea of muzzels either but i thought it would be an easy solution. Anyway if i had got one i dont think i would even manage to get it on him. Aye alot of people say why dont i get a locator since i have a vesectimised hob, reason is cos i dont see the point in them. They can too go wrong. Come off the ferret or somthing.

MMM, makes little sense, there is a reason so many people recommend/ use locators, i can't say i've herd your reasons for not using them before :hmm: lack of funds then maybe :yes: i just hope you find someone willing to give you a ferret knowing you would rathe block a ferret in then find it and recue it, what if there is a tunnel collapse or it gets stuck behind a dead rabbit etc :wallbash:

Maybe i am wrong and these locators are just a gimmick :whistling:

But Anyway i stuffed turf in both holes to block them in over night, i arrived to the spot this morning, something had been diggin at one hole and had left it wide open to the world at 1st i thought NOWAY....this is gettin to be a joke. But No i got my wee workers back safe and sound.

Im actually wantin another jill to work instead of using hob as i really dont wanna loose him and he seems pretty powerful. It wasnt the smallest of rabs he tackled yesterday either soo it goes to show.

Yea i didnt feed them before maybe i should of done, and will do from now on but only a wee snack, i dont want them sleeping on the job lol! :icon_redface:

Anyone sellin or wanting away any jills? no probs with servicin her in the spring i got big boy hob to do that :clapper: .

Cheers

FM ;)

You wouldn't know the coller had come off the ferret until you'd dug down to it! If it did come off you've got a £60 coller back if it doesn't come off you've got a £100 Ferret back with a £60 coller on! Cant lose IMO

if your ferret lays up and you block it in there is a chance that another rabbit inside or out side could dig in or out or even the ferret could dig out wether a jill or a hob makes no difference they could also get blocked behind a rabbit and could take days for them to eat there way out how long do you keep going back for before you give up :hmm: ferret finder the way forward i think :boxing: i once lost a ferret when i was a booy and went back next day to find a small hole were i had blocked it walked the fields no sign went back each day and found it on the third day :boogie: it came out the hole as fat as a bull :yes: but i coul;dnt afford a finder then but have several now :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by auld salmon

MMM, makes little sense, there is a reason so many people recommend/ use locators, i can't say i've herd your reasons for not using them before :hmm: lack of funds then maybe :yes: i just hope you find someone willing to give you a ferret knowing you would rathe block a ferret in then find it and recue it, what if there is a tunnel collapse or it gets stuck behind a dead rabbit etc :wallbash:

Maybe i am wrong and these locators are just a gimmick :whistling:

i been fetteting for years never had a locator ever they always come out after np longer than 30 min but on reading some of the things on here going to get one this week

• Like 1