Range it, dial it, and call the taxidermist............

nope, dosen't do it for me, if you need to dial in a correction to your scope, you're shooting too far, which IMO is irresponsible as a sportsman the leupold custom shop does turret engraving to your spec, as well as zeiss which have about 8 different turrets for a close match to most common loads and calibers. but like I say, shooting too far is irresponsible, i has said the same thing on many a youtube vid and people just don't get it, anyhowm there's my two pence worth.

Cheers

DB

and another thing, IMO, dialling in a target is target shooting on live animals, not hunting... If you're im the military or law enforcement then you need to do that, but for sportsmen... naah, get closer, I like to stick two fingers in the face of "tacti-cool".

Edited by danebrewer10

if you HAVE the ability to hit stuff at long range then WHY not...?

if your looking for custom turrets, you'll need the velocity of the bullet, the bc.. altitude most use 500ft as an average,

if your interested check out kenton industeries, their in the states and have many different styles,

hope this helps you out..

Snap.

Why? because I believe it is irresponsible, if you can get closer then do, the further away you are from a target the more magnified your aiming errors become, you're more likley to miss, or worse wound the animal. I feel that once you start stretching the range past 200m 250m in normal circumstances, excluding longer shots out to 300m whilst hill stalking, then you are no longer hunting, you are target shooting on live quarry, the same goes for the large volume pheasant shoots, if you want lots of shooting, go to a clay ground... or shoot paper like the BR boys do...

DB

true, if they take shots beyond their capability and/or in less than ideal conditions, but I still wouldn't do it as there are too many things to go wrong, plus if the animal is fidgety, or it may choose to move at the time you pull the trigger, even if it is relaxed, it may move and you might gut shoot it or clip it, 300m is a long way and the bullet spends quite a long time in the air where that animal could move.... Personally I don't like it nor do I recommend it :no: , but I can't tell everyone else what to do.... :( but even so it's no longer the skill of hunting and field craft it's the persons ability to shoot accurately at long ranges that is being tested, so like I say it's no longer hunting but target shooting on live animals, surely the whole idea of hunting is to be involved with the pursuit and pit yourself against a worthy opponent?

DB

Edited by danebrewer10

i do believe that if you have the ability and confidence to take the shot, then you are within your right too, i have the utmost respect for the quarry i hunt, and have spent many years building up the level skill, As i'm sure most do...

But there are also cases where people go beyond their skill level and hope it pays of... i do not agree with this type of shooting.

time on the range pays of on the field...... simple as...

ATB.

Snap

I guess that there will always be a debate over the ethics of longer range shooting when it comes to live quarry. Personally I think it is down to the individual to make the decision as to whether it is a good call or not. Is it unethical to take a three hundred yard shot if you know exactly where the round is going to hit ? There are those that would say it would be better to get as close as possible but shooting at a hundred yards is not always an option. Anything that would enable me to place a shot more accurately is a bonus......victory.gif

if you HAVE the ability to hit stuff at long range then WHY not...?

if your looking for custom turrets, you'll need the velocity of the bullet, the bc.. altitude most use 500ft as an average,

if your interested check out kenton industeries, their in the states and have many different styles,

hope this helps you out..

Snap.

Already found them mate, looks interesting stuff........ For that price it would be rude not to give it a try clapper.gif

i can vouch for the quality of the turrets mate, and the accuracy of the dialing, and as you say they are cheap.....

my mate bought 2 sets for 2 different guns and they are bang on the money at the ranges dialed...

the only reason i dont use them is i use a variety of rounds in the same calibre, so a bit pointless for me to purchase...

you won't be disappointed..

Snap.

i can vouch for the quality of the turrets mate, and the accuracy of the dialing, and as you say they are cheap.....

my mate bought 2 sets for 2 different guns and they are bang on the money at the ranges dialed...

the only reason i dont use them is i use a variety of rounds in the same calibre, so a bit pointless for me to purchase...

Snap.

Ta Snap, I offloaded all of my reloading gear and stick to single specific rounds in each rifle now so they should do exactly what they say on the tin boogie.gif

Snap.

Ta Snap, I offloaded all of my reloading gear and stick to single specific rounds in each rifle now so they should do exactly what they say on the tin boogie.gif

if you can get the alti roughly right were you do most of your shooting using an altimeter, or windmeter with built in settings such as baro, alti, etc.

bc. of bullets, it'll be real accurate,

best of luck can't wait to see how you get on with them..

Snap.

I think there are undoubtedly situations where being able to being able to accuratley dial range adjustment like this is preferable to guestimating holdover / windage but in the vast majority of situations, stalking and foxing for example, this won't be neccessary as the quarry is likely to be within +/- an inch or so of zero (i.e < 200 yards).

I would agree there, I might consider taking such a shot, but only if the conditions were near as perfect as they were going to get, like a steady breeze instead of gusting wind, or preferably still air yes I know I am back tracking a bit here... but perhaps calculating and dialing hold over and windage, measuring wind speed, altitude, air density or whatever else you need is unsuitable say in fox shooting or stalking like you say, where you may only have a brief window of opportunity where the animal stops still. (and the ranges are likely to be closer)

I'm not saying don't do it, but be sure of your calculations.

Cheers

DB

Edited by danebrewer10