How many farmers do we have here on THL?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting spread of farm types :) Unfortunately the land here isn't good enough to grow crops or do dairy, pity as the options would be great! Was over on a farming forum last night and felt slightly jealous when reading about lads growing their own feed :clapper:

What is the availability of work for shepherds these days?

Is it still an ongoing task where there is a shepherd that looks after the sheep or is it down to farm labourers and farmers?

Interesting spread of farm types :) Unfortunately the land here isn't good enough to grow crops or do dairy, pity as the options would be great! Was over on a farming forum last night and felt slightly jealous when reading about lads growing their own feed :clapper:

You lose any sheep to the snow? You're right the ground would be fairly bad around you but it can't be worse than west donegal, they seem to be growing fekin stones.

What is the availability of work for shepherds these days?

Is it still an ongoing task where there is a shepherd that looks after the sheep or is it down to farm labourers and farmers?

Well up here a lot of farms are being contracted out. Neighbouring farms are running 2 to 3 at a time so sheep are pretty much left till there own till big handlings come up such as lambing and clipping. My other half was farm manager till just before xmas then was paid off they have now contracted the farm oot its a sort of rent the sheep thing farm owner has nothing to with the farm owner just looks at the money that comes in

You lose any sheep to the snow? You're right the ground would be fairly bad around you but it can't be worse than west donegal, they seem to be growing fekin stones.

None local to me because of snow, the cold may have knocked off the odd weak/oldie out on the bogs mind you. Even on the Twelve Bens the snow wasn't as bad as I've seen it other times, and I've not seen much snow. :laugh: I brought a lad out lamping last year, we headed up a valley I got to a bit. Near the top I remarked that there were lots of rabbits a bit farther on, the look I got :icon_eek: "And what're they livin' on, rocks?"

Herdwick, lovely photos there, what I wouldn't give to roll a few of those acres out around here :D

So most of the shepherds would be contractors then? Cant see that being steady work? More seasonal with lambing and shearing.

Shame,ive always fancied being a shepherd. :victory:

There are still some oot there but more and more shepherds are more involed in the farm than just sheep now they are expected to be able to muck in and do cattle work , silage time ,just doing a bit more tractor work than the old days