more than one dog

hi all i was just thinking how many of you keep more than one dog and what DISADVANTAGES do you find,the advantages we all know,if one gets knocked up for example,easier to bring another dog on with an experienced dog ect ect,but do the advantages out weigh the disadvantages,common probs iv found over the years are,kenneling two like minded dogs together may cause problems,jealousy over quarry just to name a couple,whats your thoughts on this,thanks recce

PLEASE,DISADVANTAGES ONLY

Edited by recce

I think there is more advantages than disadvantages, such has if one goes lame you can run the other, one dog might be more suited to the ground than the other, and if you keep bitches the bitch might break down and you will not be able to run it so you could run the other dog, also if it is good lamping weather for a long period of time it would be a good idea to give one a break and run the other. That's just a few advantages i can think of...

I think there is more advantages than disadvantages, such has if one goes lame you can run the other, one dog might be more suited to the ground than the other, and if you keep bitches the bitch might break down and you will not be able to run it so you could run the other dog, also if it is good lamping weather for a long period of time it would be a good idea to give one a break and run the other. That's just a few advantages i can think of...

some good points there mate,i generally use a certain type of dog for the larger quarry pre-ban of course,and try and have what i deem as a more general all rounder,this is my own personel reason for having more than one dog

Edited by recce

The biggest advantage for me is a bigger catch, two dogs obviously have the edge over one either running one at a time so one can rest or doubled up so there is more of an advantage over the quarry. I find a lone kenneled dog is more likely to suffer from seperation anxiety and more likely to destroy his kennel through boredom too.

I would never train 2 dogs at once anymore.

But would keep a pup and an older more experienced dog.

Or two adults.

i have also found trying to train two pups then bring them on fully does have its moments,and for me never to be repeated,thanks

I havent had less than 2 dogs since i was 11, there is alot more advantages to owning more than 1 dog for example 1 might go lame or have a work related injury ,also its very very rare i buy pups and when i breed my other dogs to replace ageing workers you need to have something to be working while that dog is in pup.i currently have a 4yr old lurcher dog a 6 month old lurcher pup (sister to the lurcher dog was stolen hence the bought pup)and 5 terriers 1 stud dog 9 yrs old ,a dog and 2 bitches working and 1 pup terrier they are all from my own breeding and i dont feel comfortable with that to be fair if my lurcher dog goes lame or has an injury any time soon i am screwed for a running dog as his sister was stolen so theres 1 example of an advantage.also my 9 yr old terrier at stud ive retired him now as i dont want anything to happen to him but i have 3 terriers of the same line all work and if something was to happen to 1 i have the others as back up.so clearly having more than 1 far out ways only having 1 but i am fortunate that i have the room and time to work that many dogs some people dont.

hi all i was just thinking how many of you keep more than one dog and what DISADVANTAGES do you find,the advantages we all know,if one gets knocked up for example,easier to bring another dog on with an experienced dog ect ect,but do the advantages out weigh the disadvantages,common probs iv found over the years are,kenneling two like minded dogs together may cause problems,jealousy over quarry just to name a couple,whats your thoughts on this,thanks recce

Yes, do people [really] have the [time+work] for [2] dogs. Its ok saying if one gets hurt, i have the other dog.But ive had dogs [yes] some seem to get hurt very quick, and then ive some dogs can go all season and never get hurt.? And another [big problem] is you will always favour one dog more than the other it just happens, so you tend to work that dog [more] than the other fact. And i think one dog will [bond] 100% to you, than having 2 dogs. This the 1st time ive had 1 dog, most times i used to keep 2 dogs.And it i think its alot better. Ok there will come a time when you have to bring in a pup,but with a bit of luck you will have worked the other dog a 6-7 years ,before you need the another dog.?

Yes, do people [really] have the [time+work] for [2] dogs. Its ok saying if one gets hurt, i have the other dog.But ive had dogs [yes] some seem to get hurt very quick, and then ive some dogs can go all season and never get hurt.? And another [big problem] is you will always favour one dog more than the other it just happens, so you tend to work that dog [more] than the other fact. And i think one dog will [bond] 100% to you, than having 2 dogs. This the 1st time ive had 1 dog, most times i used to keep 2 dogs.And it i think its alot better. Ok there will come a time when you have to bring in a pup,but with a bit of luck you will have worked the other dog a 6-7 years ,before you need the another dog.?

although i do have more than one dog,i completely agree,spot on with your comments mate

exactly what im looking for with regards to this subject,thanks recce

Own three dogs, all get worked together. One lurcher and two terriers. This is ideal for what i do, which is daytime bushing, bolting and chasing. On the down side is obviously the cost is up by 3 times...boosters etc.

I have found over the years thats its not just down the amount of dogs you keep it can be down to the dogs individual temperament. For example i once had 4 dogs that worked and housed together no probs, then years on i had two dogs to which i added a third, now the third one i added really upset the balance and has been a right handfull, although she is one of my favourite dogs.

Its all down to personal preference. Although i do wonder how some people manage to get the best out of all there dogs.