Permission to hunt?

Was in the same boat this time last year started out with ferrets and shooting after 20 years away from it

spent about a month just driving around farms first couple of weeks not a sausage then got permission on one farm now have the adjoining three .

don't give up you will get some in the end

I would be interested to hear your technique when knocking on doors :hmm: it seems a delicate subject to approach when asking a stranger if they would allow you to go on their land with an air rifle :icon_eek:

Well it may be a bit of putting at first but stick at it

when you go try to turn up reasonably smart .be polite and if you get knocked back say thanks and leave your name and number in case things change in future.

always tell people your looking for somewhere to shoot i have just sorted some permission on a large riding school by word of mouth.sort your self insurance before you start it helps when asking people

all the best with it

You could knock some flyers up Plod! fill in all the relevent details on how responsible you are and obviously you only want to shoot Vermin and get them sent out to the Landowners, there's been a good few flyers printed up on this site in the past if you can find them, also joining the BASC might help to show you have some cover...

I'm a bit lucky as in the past I would contact a landowner asking to fly birds at Rooks/Crows/Pigeons/Rabbits and general Vermin, I would normaly get a favourible response expecially if they come out to see the bird fly the quarry mentioned above, after a while when I have won their trust I'll then ask if there is any chance of bringing a gun on the land!! 99% of the time this way has been succesfull......

Jasp

Cheers for that Jasper, sounds like a good idea mate :thumbs:

Gaining permission is all about technique, confidence and rapport building.

If you know of footpaths going through land, then walk them, look for signs of damage from rabbits or for pigeons dropping on to crops. Then, making sure that you are dressed appropriately (Smart casual), knock on the door of the landowner, introduce yourself politely, show him your understanding of vermin control by mentioning what you've observed and where, then ask in a non aggressive manner if you could try and bash them one morning/afternoon. Only ask for the one time, don't push it at this stage, you may be as trust worthy as the hills, but they don't know that and one afternoon sounds an awful lot less to agree to than total permission.

If the landowner agrees, then bring him in by asking if, for example there is a certain thing he wants rid of, ie pigeons or rabbits and what area to stick to. this shows responsibility and consideration in your thinking.

On the agreed day, be sure to drop him a reminder that you will be there. When you are there, try and bag as many of whatever it is you said you would try to. I find pigeons the easiest to begin with, as at this point, it's a bit of a numbers game.

The final bit is the offer and to gain more days. Call in to thank the landowner and offer them some of the bag. They'll probably say no, but that's not the point, the point is to tell them what a great afternoon you've had and to show them your success. If it's a bit thin then obviously don't show it all but have a brace of pigeon ready to present for looks sake.

Present them with a decent bottle if wine £7+ (it shows thought)and thank them again. Ask them if you could pop back the next week to try again. a simple yes and BINGO, job done!

Failing that, marry a farmer's daughter, both ways have worked for me!!

hi buddy

a must is insurance!

have you sent any lettrs out? also its just not farmers.

try these places

horse paddocks,

hotels,

football grounds,

rugby grounds,

industrial estates,

business parks,

golf courses,

cemeteries,

manor houses,

country clubs,

riding shcools,

ect..ect.........

get some of grim reapers letters of permission

here: http://www.thehuntin...showtopic=40744

and edit to suit then post to all above in your area, and bingo! i have had good results with them.

if all else fails then check out the shared permission on here.if that still fails, then get knocking on doors

hope this helps!

regards

davy

TBH mate, if thats the name you want then keep it....who gives a sh*t!

I for one don't have a problem with police being on the site as I have nothing to hide. At the end of the day in my eyes those that give the grief should expect grief back!

As for knocking mate, just keep at it..... I lost all my permissions to paying syndicates who pay £200 a year for 5 shoots, something I can't justify so I gave up hunting sold all my gear and took up photography. It wasn't until my cuz (Festa)met with Zini and I was invited to shoot on his permission that I went and bought another rifle.

I then set about visiting all sorts of places and now have enough land to keep us going....

So....keep at it mate...it will come!!

Darryl

Cheers Darryl, make you right mate :thumbs:

Was in the same boat this time last year started out with ferrets and shooting after 20 years away from it

spent about a month just driving around farms first couple of weeks not a sausage then got permission on one farm now have the adjoining three .

don't give up you will get some in the end

I would be interested to hear your technique when knocking on doors :hmm: it seems a delicate subject to approach when asking a stranger if they would allow you to go on their land with an air rifle :icon_eek:

Well it may be a bit of putting at first but stick at it

when you go try to turn up reasonably smart .be polite and if you get knocked back say thanks and leave your name and number in case things change in future.

always tell people your looking for somewhere to shoot i have just sorted some permission on a large riding school by word of mouth.sort your self insurance before you start it helps when asking people

all the best with it

Cheers for the advice! I am looking at what all the chaps who already have permission are saying :hmm: , smash it all together and then get cracking :)

Gaining permission is all about technique, confidence and rapport building.

If you know of footpaths going through land, then walk them, look for signs of damage from rabbits or for pigeons dropping on to crops. Then, making sure that you are dressed appropriately (Smart casual), knock on the door of the landowner, introduce yourself politely, show him your understanding of vermin control by mentioning what you've observed and where, then ask in a non aggressive manner if you could try and bash them one morning/afternoon. Only ask for the one time, don't push it at this stage, you may be as trust worthy as the hills, but they don't know that and one afternoon sounds an awful lot less to agree to than total permission.

If the landowner agrees, then bring him in by asking if, for example there is a certain thing he wants rid of, ie pigeons or rabbits and what area to stick to. this shows responsibility and consideration in your thinking.

On the agreed day, be sure to drop him a reminder that you will be there. When you are there, try and bag as many of whatever it is you said you would try to. I find pigeons the easiest to begin with, as at this point, it's a bit of a numbers game.

The final bit is the offer and to gain more days. Call in to thank the landowner and offer them some of the bag. They'll probably say no, but that's not the point, the point is to tell them what a great afternoon you've had and to show them your success. If it's a bit thin then obviously don't show it all but have a brace of pigeon ready to present for looks sake.

Present them with a decent bottle if wine £7+ (it shows thought)and thank them again. Ask them if you could pop back the next week to try again. a simple yes and BINGO, job done!

Failing that, marry a farmer's daughter, both ways have worked for me!!

That all sounds pukker to me, I great sounding approuch :) , I am taking it all on board and appreciate the advice I am getting from you chaps :thumbs:

hi buddy

a must is insurance!

have you sent any lettrs out? also its just not farmers.

try these places

horse paddocks,

hotels,

football grounds,

rugby grounds,

industrial estates,

business parks,

golf courses,

cemeteries,

manor houses,

country clubs,

riding shcools,

ect..ect.........

get some of grim reapers letters of permission

here: http://www.thehuntin...showtopic=40744

and edit to suit then post to all above in your area, and bingo! i have had good results with them.

if all else fails then check out the shared permission on here.if that still fails, then get knocking on doors

hope this helps!

regards

davy

Thanks a lot Davy, I had thought of land other than farm land but you have added a whole new bunch of ideas, fantastic mate :notworthy: and I sure your advice will help ;) , I have already penned a letter of permission and I will look at grim reapers letter and compare it to mine, I am sure being new to seeking permission there will be some good stuff in what he has written :yes: .

I may edit his for my use or do a combination of his and mine :hmm: , cheers mate :thumbs:

also plod, think outside the box :hmm:

why just settle for farmers/landowners, try large garden centres/nursaries, they can get plagued by squirrels, churches/graveyards can be affected by rabbits, large schools/colleges with playingfields, again rabbits, make sure you have insurance from one of the clubs, then drive around keeping your eyes open, it can be easier on your confidence talking to a groundsman rather than an owner

one of my first permissions was our local college, and a football club/pitches

had only read the first page before replying, so had'ent seen members had said this already :doh:

also plod, think outside the box :hmm:

why just settle for farmers/landowners, try large garden centres/nursaries, they can get plagued by squirrels, churches/graveyards can be affected by rabbits, large schools/colleges with playingfields, again rabbits, make sure you have insurance from one of the clubs, then drive around keeping your eyes open, it can be easier on your confidence talking to a groundsman rather than an owner

one of my first permissions was our local college, and a football club/pitches

had only read the first page before replying, so had'ent seen members had said this already :doh:

No problem there mate ;) . It just help confirm I am on the right track :thumbs:

there is a link on this site to permission forms by grimreaper. im sure if you asked him he would point you in the right direction no problem and the look professional too. hope this helps mate

atb liam

I've had a gander at Grims letter, looks pretty good, it has given me some good pointers to pen my own letter :thumbs: