Fox Snare Anchor

Couls someone tell me what they use as fox snare anchors. If i have a run between two trees or by a fence post i normally nail 3 fencing nails into the post or tree and hoop the snare with through there. But i have a few new snaring sots where i need an anchor to snare the fox's, could anyone shead some light?

To be honest i just use bloody great long pieces of metal. . . . . . i think they were part of a fence once upon a time. They are strong as f**k, and when bent into a hoop at one end (takes some doing) and cut to about a couple of feet and driven into the ground . . . . . no ones getting away!

Super si - your looking for prints (especially now in the snow), the stench of fox, red fur on fences etc and a larger than rabbit game trail . . . . . at least thats what i look for, im sure there are more signs. O and of course fox kills.

I find it better to set on the trail leading up to or away from fence.

Hope that helps.

Jai.

im seeing prints that are like small dog paw prints and theres a pair side by side then 1 gose stray then meet up again but i havnt got anything that will do the job or will a 6 ply snare trap a fox if its on somthing solid thats not going budge

I wouldn't use the 6 ply. It probably wont hold and even if it did it wouldnt be humane. . . . it's snap at some point possibly sunk into the neck. Make a decision what you want to snare and use the right tools for the job. Nothing wrong with snaring fox, but use fox snares.

Look on google images for pics of fox prints and compare them. Make sure you know what crosses your land - i.e is it possible that it IS a small dog or a cat or other domestic animal. Check it's not badger.

Do you know if there is a earth on your land?

Do you find only rabbit heads left in your snares?

Couls someone tell me what they use as fox snare anchors. If i have a run between two trees or by a fence post i normally nail 3 fencing nails into the post or tree and hoop the snare with through there. But i have a few new snaring sots where i need an anchor to snare the fox's, could anyone shead some light?

here you go mate, a link to snaremans earth anchors article. should be exactly what you want but might be tricky to get into the ground in this weather.

atb rob

ps.

a 18-24" bit of angle iron cut to a point on one end driven right into the ground with a big hammer and a hole drilled in the other, connected to the snare with one of the quickclips (see the above link) works well too