Cleaning pellets ?

napier pellet lube or i just wash mine with warm soapy water and rinse them off and riddle them off to dry then leave them out on kitchen roll to totally dry out making sure there no water trapped in the back of the skirt then give them a very light coating of dw40 but not to much to cause excessive diesling , also the napier pellet lube is exactly the same as redex i have just been reading up on it on another forum atb

kev :thumbs:

hi buddy

i have never cleaned my pellets,or have i added pellet lube.

yes it is the norm if you shoot HFT/FT.as they do clean/lube for pin point accuracy,as every shooter wants to hit a point! and not the plate.

regards

davy

Don't put WD40 anywhere near your pellets, it's kerosine based and will ingnite under pressure like a f***er!! Bad news for an airgun...

I've never really bothered useing lubes, on pellets (a-hem), but some folks swear by them. I have tried them but I really could'nt tell any diference.

If you're going to try them, stick to the lubes that are designed properly for the job.

Cheers.

Edited by andyfr1968

Here's my top tip.... don't get them dirty in the first place!

(I'm being serious!)

When you get a nice fresh time of pellets, decant as many as you need (e.g. 100) into a new tin and use them before going back for more, keep your new pellets sealed tight.

Dipping into new tins of pellets with sweaty fingers will soon dull pellets..... also, you will easily crush and damage the skirts of surrounding pellets (especially AA Fields with their super thin skirts.

Oh, and for the record, I've never cleaned a pellet either!

Hi Newbie1980,

I do wash my pellets and lube them for better accuracy.

I find that if you get a new tin of pellets and look at them they look really clean, but if you poor them into a see through glass with warm soapy water in and give them a gentle swirl about you will see fine bits of lead swirling about in the water.

This lead can only be seen in the water and in a clear glass.

It also after time sits in you guns rifling making micro obstacles in the barrel so working against you when you are trying to be as accurate as possible.

What I then do is get a siv with a pretty big gauze and rinse the pellets under clean warm water to ensure all the small bits of lead are gone completely

I also use a pellet lube to slightly lubricate them after they are dried pal.

One thing that people forget to do though is wash their pellet tin too. This also needs doing to clean out any small bits of lead from the bottom of the tin prior to you putting the pellets back into it.

The FX pellets that I use comes with 2 spongers in the tin to stop the pellets getting damaged, so I wash them and then slightly lube the bottom one too with the lube to keep them in tip top condition.

As people have already posted doing this is not a must and a lot of people don’t bother with it. Its individual preference but I do believe it aids accuracy having clean pellets rather than dirty one.

Zini