My chickens seem underweight even though they have access to food (layers pellets) during daylight hours, they are wormed (with flubenvet) have access to grit (shell,flint)are free range albeit in a 20x10 yard enclosure and are still laying every day.Is there something that I can give them to fatten them up, keel bone quite prominent.

Cheers,

PV.

P.S. they're Black Rhodies

How long have you had them and are the ex battery chooks? As it may be old age and if they are ex battery then they will be skinny ours are and still lay each day and have food and water for them in daylght hours etc.

If they seem fine in themselves then I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope it has helped,

JoeD

Old layers will have a prominant breast bone, but I always feed mine a warm mash in the winter: just pour a little hot water over their layers pellets so they go crumbly moist, not sloppy. I've also discovered that chickens just love Vitalin (dog food) which is pretty much the same price as layers pellets: mine have put back a lot of weight since feeding them a mixture of layers pellets and a bit of Vitalin. They also get mixed corn in the aftenoons.

You could also try giving them warm water to drink in this very cold weather: even birds don't like having to drink nigh on freezing water: its important they keep up their fluid intake if they are laying. My birds are a year old and have laid throughout the winter without missing a day and they are definitely up to weight.