FEEDING THE DOGS

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I refer to the RMB & BARF diets as romantic because it comes with all these airy fairy ideals such as my dog is a wolf, my dog will live longer and it won't have teeth problems etc...

I used to feed tripe, whole carcasses and whatever else died on the farm at one time. I have kept a chest freezer used solely for storing dog meat. However, I now feed Working Supadog because it is cheap, easily stored, easily obtained and the dogs look great on it. No rotten teeth or smelly breath or flaky skin or dull coats or the constant need to worm (wolves don't get wormed).....!

Don't tell folk that RMB or BARF diets don't require any effort because they will soon find out that it does!! Best wishes to all RMB & BARF feeders.

ps just found out that my pet store will now deliver my Working Supadog for free........magic!

I wouldn't say they were romantic ideas, Nipper, just scientifically based. Domestic dogs differ from Grey Wolves by 0.2% mDNA - mDNA is the 'small' stuff (much smaller than DNA). Any given domestic dog is more closely related to wolves as they are to other breeds and any other animal. No other animal is as close to a wolf as a dog.

In fact the only difference (the 0.2%) accounts for size, shape and coat etc. See Wayne, R (1993) Molecular Evolution of the Family Dog, Trends in Genetics, 9:6, pp218-224.

Also the tooth cleaning issue is similarly well documented. Let's forget for a moment that dogs fed commercially manufactured 'food' develop periodontal disease at a clinically significant level at a rate of almost 9/10 by 3 years of age; rising to 10/10 with further age.

No such problem with carcase/rmb fed dogs.

So personally I don't see what's so romantic about it. Though I do agree, it's a lot more romantic having healthy long-lived pets, as opposed to short lived, foul mouthed unfortunates.

Not sure what significance "wolves don't get wormed" has on matters?

As for "finding out" that it requires effort, what effort exactly? Pick up a few boxes of RMBs (just like you have to pick up kibble and human shopping), stick them in the freezer. Each day chuck one frozen RMB into the dogs' kennel, crate etc. Ten seconds. Very "difficult"! ;)

You mentioned dog meat. Meat doesn't clean teeth, meaty bones and carcases do.

Similarly, best wishes to all kibble feeders, though I know where my money is.

Guest alastair

fed my pup mainly on meat and bonesand he does look great.my thoughts on kibble are simple,i buy beta lamb and rice as a emergency or a hand full here and thier,its 18.pound a bag and after making costs,packaging,delivery,profit,and any other admin costs i reckon they make it for about 4/6 pound a bag,which lasts a month or more,so it must be full of f......g shit

Edited by alastair