help with a spaniel

Can anyone help just started to train my spaniel for next year to work she is 2 years old her training has come along very well the only thing is that i cant get her to go into the hedge i take her out with my other dog who will go in hopeing that she will learn from him but all she will do is stay by me if i can get her out of this she will b a 100% working dog.I hope someone out there that can help me will put some pic of her on as soon as i can thanks to all and a happy new year happy hunting marc :tongue2::gunsmilie:

Can anyone help just started to train my spaniel for next year to work she is 2 years old her training has come along very well the only thing is that i cant get her to go into the hedge i take her out with my other dog who will go in hopeing that she will learn from him but all she will do is stay by me if i can get her out of this she will b a 100% working dog.I hope someone out there that can help me will put some pic of her on as soon as i can thanks to all and a happy new year happy hunting marc :tongue2::gunsmilie:

hi marcot try taking her out on her own do a couple of retrieves with a tennis ball in the open then let her see you throw the ball just inside a thin hedge and let her retrieve it do this a couple of times then try hiding a couple of balls or dummies down the same hedge without her seeing you do it then walk her down the hedge gentley encouraging her to work in front of you hopefully she will wind the dummies etc and enter the hedge to retrieve them once she learns the hedge contains something exciting for her she should start working them be patient all the best let us know how you get on

hi marcot try taking her out on her own do a couple of retrieves with a tennis ball in the open then let her see you throw the ball just inside a thin hedge and let her retrieve it do this a couple of times then try hiding a couple of balls or dummies down the same hedge without her seeing you do it then walk her down the hedge gentley encouraging her to work in front of you hopefully she will wind the dummies etc and enter the hedge to retrieve them once she learns the hedge contains something exciting for her she should start working them be patient all the best let us know how you get on

Sound advice, she'll soon pick it up

Baz

thanks alot for you help will try it and let you know thanks happy new year marc.

if i was you i would try an find some good ground preferably with a lot of bull rushes you dont want her running into bramble straight away then do the retrieves in the rushes then start to put dummies balls out all the time pointing to the rush saying seek on then when she realises where your pointing the is something to find she will soon get the hang of things an she should start hitting all types of cover hope that helps a little. :thumbs:

if i was you i would try an find some good ground preferably with a lot of bull rushes you dont want her running into bramble straight away then do the retrieves in the rushes then start to put dummies balls out all the time pointing to the rush saying seek on then when she realises where your pointing the is something to find she will soon get the hang of things an she should start hitting all types of cover hope that helps a little. :thumbs:

thanks for your feed back will try it and let you know how it went thanks and happy new year marc...

thanks for your feed back will try it and let you know how it went thanks and happy new year marc...

Great advice .

If that does not work then when the dog is ready for its food take it out to an open area and throw some meat scraps around. Let it use it's nose with you pointing where to go. When it has learned that throw some in the hedge and let it find it using its nose. That way it gets regular rewards for the effort rather than hunting for nothing. It will quickly realise that in the cover is the place to be.

Most of wats been said but it can make a spaniel that bit keener [bANNED TEXT] the scent on the grounds at its strongest i would get her out on her own at first light were there is plenty of ground game thats been comeing in and out of cover all night.atb dell

Most of wats been said but it can make a spaniel that bit keener [bANNED TEXT] the scent on the grounds at its strongest i would get her out on her own at first light were there is plenty of ground game thats been comeing in and out of cover all night.atb dell

ive had many good replys will try them all and will let you all know how i got on thanks for your feed back happy new year marc....

ive had many good replys will try them all and will let you all know how i got on thanks for your feed back happy new year marc....

hi marcort poecher is right she needs to smell that there is some thing in there ones she picks that up you will be ok my 18 month old pup odes now when i take her out i never see her till she runs out of bush or cover even when i get them home there are in the hedge in the garden it just takes time

but some dogs want go in as they no there is nothing in there

and ahs she a fav toy or any thing like that that she loves to play with at home if so take it with you and through it in to see of she will go get it (dont do what i did with mine got her toy and put in im the rockery come home from work and there was no plants left in it only soil she been looking for it all day)

and ahs she a fav toy or any thing like that that she loves to play with at home if so take it with you and through it in to see of she will go get it (dont do what i did with mine got her toy and put in im the rockery come home from work and there was no plants left in it only soil she been looking for it all day)

will do thanks for your feed back happy new year marc...