Cartridge Choice

I have been shooting shotgun for several years now, mainly rabbit and pigeon and other vermin. I have always shot 32gram plastic 6s on all quarry. However recently i have now started to shoot walked up and driven game duck pheasent partridge and woodcock.

What cartridge should i be shooting game with shot size, weight ect... to suit an average budget???

any help would be grateful

cheers

I have been shooting shotgun for several years now, mainly rabbit and pigeon and other vermin. I have always shot 32gram plastic 6s on all quarry. However recently i have now started to shoot walked up and driven game duck pheasent partridge and woodcock.

What cartridge should i be shooting game with shot size, weight ect... to suit an average budget???

any help would be grateful

cheers

6 will handle a lot, and many will say it will handle what you want to do now, personally I'd be happier with 5.

One thing I suspect most will agree on though is PLASTIC.

I stick to felt/fibre on everything but plastic approved clay grounds. Personal thing, but also a courtesy as I have seen so many plastic wads (and Cartridge cases) spoiling the countryside! Many driven will not allow plastic anyway!

Edited by Deker

In all honesty, as I've said before, Cartridge choice comes down to what you are comfortable shooting and that you feel/know is suitable for the job.

Your 32g No.6 will deal with pretty much anything that crops up on a rough shoot, it just depends whether you can hit them or not. Before the lead ban Ducks used to be shot at with whatever was in the gun, which in my case was always and still is 28g of 7s and they used to drop just the same. Personal choice of course.

Woodcock and Snipe certainly don't need anything as big as Five's.

If I were you, buy a few different weights in fibre wad in shot sizes 5,6 & 7 and see how you get on ;)

i tend to use lyvale pigeon express ( no6 30 gramm) for everything,except of course fowl :thumbs:

. bb's for the geese.

the penetration is not the killer but the shock( not organ damage) and so a 2mm cartridge will kill rabbit and even fox at the right range( 15-25m = first shot when bolting charlie).

no6 for me for most shooting.

atb for the new year lads and lassies.