Is first cross collie greyhound fast enough

Hi Im Off to have a look round Hancocks soon and dont know weather to have a go at the Half cross Border x greyhound or 1/4 Border 3/4 Greyhound or even beardie :blink::blink:

I dont want a massive dog wandering the house but i want some speed for some daytime rabbits.

Any ideas or opinions. :welcomeani:

I know some of you dissaprove of Hancock but ive bought the local puppy rag today and half of them dont know whats in there puppies apart from "theyll catch these will"

And most of them are dearer than hancock

At least this way ill know what im getting for my money :signthankspin:

Has anyone got any pics of there adult dogs of these crossings

according to Hancock Collies will catch Rabbits.

Edited by pidge

If you are going for a half cross mate it would be handy to see the full litter and pick the raciest one out..because ive seen some half cross's struggle to catch anything on the lamp let alone day time..

Millet

hi pal, a first cross is plenty fast enough,like millet said look at the litter first and go for the raciest,the advantage of this cross over a 3/4 bred is they have more brains,better coats and feet and more stamina best of luck with what ever you choose. regards collie john.

Here you go pidge, took these earlier of my bitch, a 1st cross Border Collie X Greyhound.

Though I think a lot of my lurcher and she's very obedient in a one to one situation, her temperament is best described as "nervy, possesive and irritating", and she's very prone to front foot damage, especially knocked toes.

Mark the words below well.

ive seen some half cross's struggle to catch anything on the lamp let alone day time..

My own bitch does struggle to catch healthy rabbits day or night, though that's partly down to geography and lack of practice....

"yet another mxyi"

I'd think again if you're mostly aiming for hunted up daytime rabbits, unless you live in a coney infested paradise.

I'd also look elsewhere......

Edited by smallmouth
Here you go pidge, took these earlier of my bitch, a 1st cross Border Collie X Greyhound.

Though I think a lot of my lurcher and she's very obedient in a one to one situation, her temperament is best described as "nervy, possesive and irritating", and she's very prone to front foot damage, especially knocked toes.

Mark the words below well.

ive seen some half cross's struggle to catch anything on the lamp let alone day time..

My own bitch does struggle to catch healthy rabbits day or night, though that's partly down to geography and lack of practice....

"yet another mxyi"

I'd think again if you're mostly aiming for hunted up daytime rabbits, unless you live in a coney infested paradise.

I'd also look elsewhere......

Cheers Mate excellent reply and although i do like the look of your bitch ill prob go elsewhere and go 3/4

cheers Pidge

hiya pidge. over the years ive had various collie crosses, the first cross can be a bit on the slow side. im not saying all are slow, just the ones ive owned or seen working. the dog im running at the moment is a 3/4greyhound1/4 collie. his dam (1st cross collie greyhound) was a little larger than him, he stands 24-25 inch. he is a well muscled dog and full of power, take off speed aint the best ive seen as my bedlington whippetX bedlington whippet beats him off the mark every time. once he is in his stride his speed is spot on.he has the brains as most do that ive seen. im not saying that a 1st cross aint no good because im sure many people work them just fine. One thing i have noticed about my 3/4 cross is that if you run him hard one after another his staminer can whilt quickly, this ive noticed on a few 3/4 crosses. my bro has had a few Hancock dogs of differant crosses and i must admit they can be hard work. you need to have a solid training ethic to succeed with these i think or they can run you ragged. regarding the 3/4 cross there isnt a lot that he wont tackle, small up to large. im a professinal pest controller and work him alot and ive found thet his type are a good honest type of dogm maybe he isnt a 3 out of 3 fen dog but as a frezzer filler he dosn't do too bad. All the best in finding the right dog

hiya pidge. over the years ive had various collie crosses, the first cross can be a bit on the slow side. im not saying all are slow, just the ones ive owned or seen working. the dog im running at the moment is a 3/4greyhound1/4 collie. his dam (1st cross collie greyhound) was a little larger than him, he stands 24-25 inch. he is a well muscled dog and full of power, take off speed aint the best ive seen as my bedlington whippetX bedlington whippet beats him off the mark every time. once he is in his stride his speed is spot on.he has the brains as most do that ive seen. im not saying that a 1st cross aint no good because im sure many people work them just fine. One thing i have noticed about my 3/4 cross is that if you run him hard one after another his staminer can whilt quickly, this ive noticed on a few 3/4 crosses. my bro has had a few Hancock dogs of differant crosses and i must admit they can be hard work. you need to have a solid training ethic to succeed with these i think or they can run you ragged. regarding the 3/4 cross there isnt a lot that he wont tackle, small up to large. im a professinal pest controller and work him alot and ive found thet his type are a good honest type of dogm maybe he isnt a 3 out of 3 fen dog but as a frezzer filler he dosn't do too bad. All the best in finding the right dog

great pics you put up smallmouth that is one lovely looking bitch.regards collie john.

hi this was my first cross collie grey which i have just recently rehomed last week , she looks abit beefy in this pic but she was thinned out and was great , caught many things on lamp and day she did need big field to get her speed up though but [bANNED TEXT] she was flying she was flying .

Dale

Image000WinCE.jpg

Image004WinCE.jpg

SP_A0030WinCE.jpg

Hi Im Off to have a look round Hancocks soon and dont know weather to have a go at the Half cross Border x greyhound or 1/4 Border 3/4 Greyhound or even beardie :blink::blink:

I dont want a massive dog wandering the house but i want some speed for some daytime rabbits.

Any ideas or opinions. :welcomeani:

I know some of you dissaprove of Hancock but ive bought the local puppy rag today and half of them dont know whats in there puppies apart from "theyll catch these will"

And most of them are dearer than hancock

At least this way ill know what im getting for my money :signthankspin:

Has anyone got any pics of there adult dogs of these crossings

according to Hancock Collies will catch Rabbits.

I HAVE A 3/4 GREYHOUND 1/4 BEARDIE FROM HANCOCKS, SHE DOES JUST FINE, SHE WAS A BIT NERVY WHEN WE GOT HER, BUT I PUT THAT DOWN TO NO BEEN PLAYED WITH WHEN A PUP, I THINK YOU ARE BETTER OFF GETTING ONE FROM A FAMILY HOME, BUT THE THING I CAN SAY ABOUT HANCOCK IS YOU DO GET THE BREED YOU GO FOR, jeff . PS I KNOW WHY HE BREEDS SO MANY DOGS ITS SO HE CAN BUY THESE NICE OUTFITS, IT IS HANCOCK THIS ISNT IT.

si.jpg

I have a half collie/grey. He is fast for the cross, but he's quite racy. He never runs out of energy, loads of brain, too much most of the time. :censored: He excels more with deer and fox, but he doesn't have a problem catching rabbits. I prefer the 3/4 x, but this may be too big for you, my bitch is 25.5'' ats and my pup is 18'' and only 13 weeks! If i were you i'd get a 3/8 5/8 collie/grey, you won't go wrong, average size 23-24'', plenty of brains and stamina and you haven't lost the speed. :D All 3 of my collie/greys are from hancocks.

1/2 Greyhound 1/2 Border Collie 27'' ats.

100_0497.jpg

wilf5.jpg

3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Border Collie 25.5''

tashagud1.jpg

Tash2.jpg

3/8 Beardie/Border Collie 5/8 Greyhound 24''

100_0508.jpg

harriet.jpg