micro ferrets

royboy

So just because people haven't seen wild mustelids killing to ground (which they wouldn't as its underground) means that they only kill above ground????

How many more times does poor old David Attenbourgh have to make it plain to you? Mustelids rely on a killing bite to the back of neck...................how the f*ck are they supposed to do that if the only target they have is a rabbits arse in a stop-end?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just because people haven't seen wild mustelids killing to ground (which they wouldn't as its underground) means that they only kill above ground????

How many more times does poor old David Attenbourgh have to make it plain to you? Mustelids rely on a killing bite to the back of neck...................how the f*ck are they supposed to do that if the only target they have is a rabbits arse in a stop-end?

Oh your so aggressive........................

Paitience, my weee man...

Rabbits don't always have tight stop ends to bottle themselves up in and the tubes in some soft soil/sandy places can be too big for a rabbit to fill when its hunched up. Also if rabbits could just go in a stop end to avoid them then you would never see a stoat chasing a rabbit above ground they would all be nice and safe in their stops. I've got a hob here who is smaller than a lot of jills and he's killed rabbits mid tube far from a stop so if he were smaller and faster like a stoat i'd put money on him being a bit better equipped to kill underground. Stoats are murderous little sods, i've seen them up trees killing young squirrels out of their dreys so the fact that a rabbit is hunched up wouldn't stop one imo and thats from watching them over the years out in the field not watching David Attenborough films.

the line has taken over 30 years to get the right size

Ferrets were used by the ancient Egyptians (amongst many others!) to bolt rabbits over two thousand years ago...............they didn't bother f*cking around with what nature had designed, so why should we?

A ferret is a ferret is a ferret! Treat them properly & they'll still do what nature intended, whether they're large or small

By the very nature of domestication we are engineering animals.As there are no records in existance as to where our ferrets come from,the original stock may well have been the size of these micro ferrets, and the size we class as normal today could have been engineered to deal with rabbits more effectivly on there own.....just a thought

I Saw one of these tiny Jill's today...probably the one that some of yous have seen at the fairs as the lad does the game fairs...

A Jill this size would be very useful to me on many occasion,as some of the places i have to go for a bit of sport, kill ins are bad news...

If any of you that breed these little ferret have one going spare or would save one of next years young, i would be grateful.

There's a chap near Gravesend that had a good few of these micro ferrets, also a chap lived on an island off southend had some, they came down from Scotland, he had trouble breeding them, the jills took a long time to get in kit. But they obviously worked out ok, thats how they got south of the river,

They were tiny, males, fully grown were no bigger than the length of your hand :icon_eek:

They didn't have much in the way of jaw power, so you couldn't compare them to stoats :thumbs:

ive tried a couple of very well thought of strains of micro ferrets,from experiance they are hedge row ferrets that look realy good on fast easy bolting rabbits,also from experiance ive seen at least 7 whitch were mine chuck the towel in on the chalk,i realy rated them till i started working the big open burys.

ive tried a couple of very well thought of strains of micro ferrets,from experiance they are hedge row ferrets that look realy good on fast easy bolting rabbits,also from experiance ive seen at least 7 whitch were mine chuck the towel in on the chalk,i realy rated them till i started working the big open burys.

Just out of interest did you find they tired quicker than any other type of ferret you have used ?