hi lads just woundering what the effective range is for a Bikel 410 Hushpower using 2 1/2 carts.it soley going to be used for rabbits and the od pigeon

I've been playing with a .410 all lamping season and after having read all sorts of opinions regarding .410 range being equally to that of a 12 bore, I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people out there that obviously have never owned a .410. In short, the most effective range I have found with the lamp & .410 is around 15 to 20 yards IF you smack the rabbit with the full pattern.

John

hi lads just woundering what the effective range is for a Bikel 410 Hushpower using 2 1/2 carts.it soley going to be used for rabbits and the od pigeon

I've been playing with a .410 all lamping season and after having read all sorts of opinions regarding .410 range being equally to that of a 12 bore, I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people out there that obviously have never owned a .410. In short, the most effective range I have found with the lamp & .410 is around 15 to 20 yards IF you smack the rabbit with the full pattern.

John

i agree ,anything over 20 ish yards and iv only winged em,nothing worse really,good clean kills up to 20 yards but thats only me personaly :thumbs:

depends what cartriges you are using and what barrel lenth and what choke..i shoot a 30 inch over and under with fhiocci 3inc cartriges and i can kill high pheasants just as good as the next man with a 12.ive shot this calibre for coming up 3 years now and still find it fantastic to shoot,if you think im talking shit.well ive won the 410 world champs and have been runner up and 4th in the world small guage championships sp feel im qualified in this area....the main thing to remember is that with a 410 you need to be roughly 150% more accurate than with a 12 bore and the shot string is the same lenthy as a 3 1/2 inch magnum 12 bore load..the shells for these vary so much in performance,,fhiocci and winchester are fantastic also fob are good. winchester are the most expensive a 1000 just cost me £600..... eley and express are just a waiste of time,dont belive me??? get a varying ampunt of the main brands and stand and fire them,you will soon see whats shit and whats not just by the report from the gun....

alb

spider

I've read in one of my books on shotguns that .410 , 20 and 12 bore will all fire the same distance , just you are ging to have be more accurate with the shot as not such a big pattern off the .410 compared to 20 and 12 bores. And would like to say i've shot pigeon at 30-40 yards with my single barrel .410 and they have droppe stone dead .

15 yrs are you having a laugh,i can break clays at 70 yrds (proven) and shot some bllody high pheasants and partridges with it,,if you hit em you will kill them the same as anyone else with the 12s

Don't meet many people on the foreshore carrying .410s.

15 yrs are you having a laugh,i can break clays at 70 yrds (proven) and shot some bllody high pheasants and partridges with it,,if you hit em you will kill them the same as anyone else with the 12s

But remember, it only takes three balls to break a clay, it takes a few more to kill game !

Iv shot rabbits a plenty with a .410 and i found them effective out to 25 yrds, its the pattern that lets you down not the power, I killed a woodpigeon at about 40 yrds with a single no. 6 pellet through the head from a .410.

exactly so a long barreled tight choke is as good as anything else.myn with only 3/4 in is patterning 9inch at just under 30yrds

i shot a grey partrige on the last shoot that made everyone in the line shout as they reconed it was a good 60 yards and it curled up like it had been hit by a cannon......also the man behing the gun makes a big difference.not saying im anything i arnt but ive had plenty of practice with this gun,anyone is welcome to come see it smoke clays i mean smoke them so a few more than 3 pellets,,,on the other hand though i recon a little short barreled one with crap shells would be useless......there is a lot of game shots now using 410s and 28s a hell of a lot..stops you getting bored and is bloody good fun,you really feel like you have achived something when you do well with one.....

exactly so a long barreled tight choke is as good as anything else.myn with only 3/4 in is patterning 9inch at just under 30yrds

Well all I can say is that I am shooting with a Webley & Scott single barrel B/A .410 with a long barrel & full choke. Shooting Winchester 2 1/2" cartridges.

A few nights ago, I was out with the lamp and took a shot at a rabbit about 25 yards away. I could clearly see the shot pattern hit all around the rabbit in the mud, which I verified after the shot and after the rabbit hopped away!

I am no expert on the topic of the .410 but I am enjoying lamping with the gun, albeit shooting at very close range rabbits. I can remember a chap in my childhood, a well known poacher who worked for the Water Board at the time telling me about his .410 and that he would bet money on the fact it would shoot through corrugated metal at a greater distance than a 12 bore. Nostalgia is a great thing, which is why I guess I'm enjoying the .410 but I have no doubt I'll sell the little gun in the spring. I have been told 3" cartridges are not very good because the pattern blows. I have to admit that the pattern on this little gun is very good at 25 yards, better than the 12 bore which leads me to believe even if the velocities are equal, the 12 bore is a far superior tool for killing.

John

Well all I can say is that I am shooting with a Webley & Scott single barrel B/A .410 with a long barrel & full choke. Shooting Winchester 2 1/2" cartridges.

A few nights ago, I was out with the lamp and took a shot at a rabbit about 25 yards away. I could clearly see the shot pattern hit all around the rabbit in the mud, which I verified after the shot and after the rabbit hopped away!

I am no expert on the topic of the .410 but I am enjoying lamping with the gun, albeit shooting at very close range rabbits. I can remember a chap in my childhood, a well known poacher who worked for the Water Board at the time telling me about his .410 and that he would bet money on the fact it would shoot through corrugated metal at a greater distance than a 12 bore. Nostalgia is a great thing, which is why I guess I'm enjoying the .410 but I have no doubt I'll sell the little gun in the spring. I have been told 3" cartridges are not very good because the pattern blows. I have to admit that the pattern on this little gun is very good at 25 yards, better than the 12 bore which leads me to believe even if the velocities are equal, the 12 bore is a far superior tool for killing.

John

Like for Like cartridges the range will be near enough identical for 410 and 12g. Shot density will be a little less for the 410 and the quantity of lead and pettern will also be smaller.

In effect this will give you a longer effective range with a 12 (all being equal), because you are likely to deliver a few more lumps of lead into the same pattern. You will also have more lead and a bigger pattern at any given distance as well with a 12g

People often interpret this by saying the 12 has a longer range...not really true!

As for a 410 and Killing distance...well, I like to think I'm reasonably competant with my 12's but I am not in the same league as John Bidwell etc, so I suspect a 410 champion of world standing ought to be able to do a fair bit better than most of us!

Edited by Deker