black rabbits

caught this on the lamp last season 1 ugly f*****g rabbit

Myself and Tdavepat dug to his ferret this year which had stopped up a rabbit similiar to yours, maybe a bit lighter in colour, another friend of mine collects odd coloured skins and cures them, I gave it to him, and its now on the arm of his sofa!! Him and some of the older guys wont kill black rabbits, and say its bad luck. I recently caught a black one, he was tiny, with white guard hairs...I let him go....Ive had enough bad luck!

Edited by Fat-Ferret

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black rabbits are a natural genetic mutation that occurs in a number of species and is natures design in the event of a major cliamte change event leaving the earth dark the rabbits would blend in. I you look at any rabbits fur you will see there are lots of colours the science term is melanistic. The same applies to ginger silver and collared rabbits all genetic variation not likely to be from the influence of domestic rabbits as the likliehood of one surviiving long enough to breed with a wild rabbit is very slim but not impossible.I have two rabbits stuffed and mounted a black and a brown with a collar i hope to add asilver ginger and maybe even a white to my collection some day.

Him and some of the older guys wont kill black rabbits, and say its bad luck.

That's because black rabbits were released by warreners and keepers as a way of keeping tabs on poaching and predation. If you know there are usually three black'uns in a field and they disappear it's a warning sign. They are more obvious than just counting the "normal" rabbits on a field.

I you look at any rabbits fur you will see there are lots of colours the science term is melanistic.

Close but no cigar :big_boss:

The term for multicoloured fur is Agouti (as mentioned here previously), "Melanism" is the genetic mutation that allows a surplus of melanin (pigment) and gives a dark "melanistic" appearance. Melanism is the opposite of Albinsm which is a lack of pigmentation and gives "Albino" animals.

Have a look at these two, they are definitely throwbacks to released pets.

post-35215-126138226932_thumb.jpg

Knew a guy that had a black pet rabbit that used to go out into the field becide his house and mingle with the wild rabbits. This black rabbit fell pregnant and had half domestic half wild offspring in a nest in his garage. amazing that this rabbit was never nailed by charlie while out in the field.

tug is right they were let off to keep on top of the poachers back in the day

everyone is quoting from the countryman's weekly!

Don't read CW, was told it by my dad when we used to go snaring back when I was a lad.

Edited by Tug

ive been told tame rabbits were released to help fight mixy? ive caught black/white ginger brown an white,all different colours,i also last season caught a brown an white hare,it was on you tube for a while but then got took off,