spaniel with 1 testical

I have a 5 month old springer,unfortunatly only 1 of his testcals have dropped :icon_redface: will this affect his ability to become a good working dog?not bothered about breeding so dont matter about that side of things,one vet i spoke to recommend that he has the ball that hasnt dropped removed leaving him just the one,but as most of you will agree quite a lot of vets are only intersested in your money and want to castrate anything that moves :thumbdown:,any thoughts would be gratfully recieved :clapper:

The resion the say that removal would be better is that the heat inside the dog

could cause the teste to turn cancerous, some may never do, but there is still a risk there,

testicals are out side the body for a resion, in that if they get to hot they dont work properly.

It is worth waiting though, as sometimes they can just drop if it hasnt happened

by the time he's a year old, i would in all honistly have it removed.

Get him castrated, it can develop into a tumour. It happened to my GSD and I was totally bummed out but I didn't get it done til he was about a year old cos my ex-husband didn't want the dog castrated so I had to wait til he was away at sea to do it! When it was done the dog was unzipped from one end to the other, what happens is the outside one gets very large and the inside one can be very small, it can be almost anywhere in the body cavity, and my dog happened to have a VERY small one inside which the vet took some time to find.

See your vet, he may say you can wait a bit longer to see if it does drop. Don't leave it forever though.

PS A retained testicle can be hereditary so don't breed from him.

hello some good advice already given i can only add that my vet said as well as poss cancer it can also alter there temperment.i had my collie/grey done at 13 months and his retained one was also found in his abdomen

Edited by reddog70

I've got a russell with only one dropped ball. Can they remove just the undropped ball? I wouldn't want him totaly castrated.

Yes i was told by the vet that the one that haddnt dropped should be removed by the time he was 12 months old(if haddnt dropped)to prevent cancer,retain the other so he would retain plenty of drive for working.

I've got a russell with only one dropped ball. Can they remove just the undropped ball? I wouldn't want him totaly castrated.

Depends on the vet, some would want to fully castrate him to make sure you don't breed from him, but perhaps if you give a good reason to keep the other one attached he might go for it.