Centerfire rifle calibre for geese?

Hi there does anybody out there know if it is legal to shoot geese with a centerfire and if so what would be a decent calibre for this.

I am hoping to go for the .223 calibre as ammo is cheaper but am not sure if my feo would accommodate this.

thanks callum

Hi there and thanks for replying. It would mainly be for control measures as greylag geese have become settled were l stay in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland and don't migrate any more and are present all over the place in large numbers.

The English General licence is still not 100% for next year but Graylag are off limits here without special approval ..... probably different in Scotland ...anyway ....any centrefire is capable and yes it is legal ..in England.

Scotland does have differences so you need someone to confirm that who knows Scottish details better than me!

Hi there and thanks for your info Decker, there are a few people with shotguns shooting geese in the villages surrounding mine but the geese are a well known problem here so licenses are quite easy to get. The problem is that the few people that do have the licenses don't go anywhere near their bag limit quota for a year and so the problem just keeps getting worse plus the fact that the geese are present all year round creating a mess

Hi there and thanks for your info Decker, there are a few people with shotguns shooting geese in the villages surrounding mine but the geese are a well known problem here so licenses are quite easy to get. The problem is that the few people that do have the licenses don't go anywhere near their bag limit quota for a year and so the problem just keeps getting worse plus the fact that the geese are present all year round creating a mess

Interesting again...Scotland and England do have differences, but NON LEAD is the order of the day for Shotguns here, does NOT apply to rifles though!!

Canada Geese are already on our General licence and it rather looks like Egyptian are going on it (which surprises me) but no sign of Greylag yet?

Thanks for the replies guys hope my feo sees it that way as there does not seem to be much info on the subject based on the amount of search results l get through googling it. I guess sometimes it is best to reach out to the shooting community to see every ones views are on this.

thanks for your reply Mr_Logic, I spoke with my areas firearms department chief today as l would prefer to get accepted on my first try rather than waste time by getting rejected. He was fine with me shooting geese with the .223 calibre as long as the land is passed for the calibre and l have 2 policemen coming round tomorrow to check it.

thanks for your reply Mr_Logic, I spoke with my areas firearms department chief today as l would prefer to get accepted on my first try rather than waste time by getting rejected. He was fine with me shooting geese with the .223 calibre as long as the land is passed for the calibre and l have 2 policemen coming round tomorrow to check it.

Flippen 'ek, your people work fast, round here they would only be thinking about the next coffee!!! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

U gotta keep on pestering them! Thats the answer, regular police constable for my area is on holiday till the 25th of December but started pestering them last week plus the fact we don't have a dedicated feo. The police constables on the island are trained to do the checking. Guess that speeds thing along too.