Now then

after a bit of advice really, never done lamping before & am aiming to go out a couple of nights a week to have a bash.

BUT whats the best way to start??

should i walk round the site all night or do i find a dry position and wait??? or do i do both??

which is the most effective??

I was gonna leave it to trial and error but thought i'd ask!

Cheers

Elliott

Be best to check it during daylight so you know where all the bits are and safe for shooting and there's no houses around, Safety always first, when your out if your not happy about taken the shot don't. Maybe best to go out with someone thats been out lamping before just to see how its done.

Be best to check it during daylight so you know where all the bits are and safe for shooting and there's no houses around, Safety always first, when your out if your not happy about taken the shot don't. Maybe best to go out with someone thats been out lamping before just to see how its done.

now then

cheers for info

the site i have permission for is on a golf course, walked it loads of times and have a good few ideas where the most 'traffic' is, was wanting to know the best techniques for spotting animals, would a red filter be advisable??

hope you get what i mean!

Elliott

i'd say the filter was a must mate, i'd also go for a walk round with just the lamp and re familiarise our self with the land scape i found distances look a lot different at night, your best off walking and having a quick lamp sweep the feild turn it off then walking a bit more, try not to over lamp, obviously if you see something get settled down make a mentle note of where it was, put the lamp on last second take the shot, then lamp off move on when you've collected it, hope this is of some help to you, have fun and good luck.

gary

Edited by bicykillgaz

i'd say the filter was a must mate, i'd also go for a walk round with just the lamp and re familiarise our self with the land scape i found distances look a lot different at night, your best off walking and having a quick lamp sweep the feild turn it off then walking a bit more, try not to over lamp, obviously if you see something get settled down make a mentle note of where it was, put the lamp on last second take the shot, then lamp off move on when you've collected it, hope this is of some help to you, have fun and good luck.

gary

cheers for that, it'll help alot

i'll let you know how i get on

Elliott

After the first few occasions when you have been shooting bear in mind that the rabbits learn from experience and will soon start to bolt when you turn the lamp on and it will get more difficult to get them. I have had a rabbit problem on one of my permissions and we have shot loads but now as soon as they see the lamp they are off like a shot and I have had to revert to using my NV. Remember to use the lamp as little as possible (particularly if you have only one battery). If this is your only permission I would recommend you start saving for either a decent quality NV scope for the rifle or a yukon digital ranger monocular to use for spotting the rabbits and further reduce the amount of time you spend using the lamp, you would only need the lamp at the moment you are going to shoot.

Good luck.

PS I assumed you are using rifles and not shotguns!

Edited by dave1372

After the first few occasions when you have been shooting bear in mind that the rabbits learn from experience and will soon start to bolt when you turn the lamp on and it will get more difficult to get them. I have had a rabbit problem on one of my permissions and we have shot loads but now as soon as they see the lamp they are off like a shot and I have had to revert to using my NV. Remember to use the lamp as little as possible (particularly if you have only one battery). If this is your only permission I would recommend you start saving for either a decent quality NV scope for the rifle or a yukon digital ranger monocular to use for spotting the rabbits and further reduce the amount of time you spend using the lamp, you would only need the lamp at the moment you are going to shoot.

Good luck.

PS I assumed you are using rifles and not shotguns!

now then

cheers for the help,

went out last night around the site.............got myself a tracer mini lamp, even with the filter it goes far.................anyway as i was watching last night seems some of the rabbits will run with the lamp and some will stay put,problem i had was with the ones staying put my stalking were scaring them off, guess i need to improve on that first.

I was also thinking about taking the targets to plink outdoors, to adjust my shooting with wind etc, seen as though i only do it indoors at the minute.

Cheers lads

ps yeah using an aa S400

Edited by ellmud