which scope for an HMR??

hello,

i was hoping to get a bit of advice on which scope would be best for an HMR...?

I have shot air rifles for years and have a HW100 177 with an AGS SWAT 8-32x56 ir... Leathal combination! can range find to a yard and put pellets where they matter out to 60 yards plus with little wind. great light gathering and the IR is useful lamping and at dusk. Im very confident with this set up and have also done well at FT and HFT comps....

now.. i got my ticket the other month and just got myself a new sako quad varmint in 17hmr. ive matched it with a simmons WTC 3.5-10X50..shot well on sunday, though it was a bit windy! anyway.. the question is.. do i swap the scopes around?

the rangefinding may be more use on the air rifle as you need to place your shots more accurately for rabbits and the trajectory is more of a concideration... or is it?? the 17 shoots pretty flat to about 175 yards.. but after that? would it be an advantange to rangefind to the nearest few yards for calculating drop?

Im not sure!

would be interesting to hear from you guys

to be honest i would not swap the scopes over untill i had looked at a rabbit at 100yards or so and at night.im not knocking your AGS but i have looked through a couple and at 120 yards in daylight it was rather milky,so its going to be harder at night.the simmons is a half decent scope for the money and should suffice.i have a mamba 4-16 x 50 on my hmr and very rareley do i have to wind the mag up.this scope is also prone to milking up untill you get the paralax fine tuned

hello,

I have shot air rifles for years and have a HW100 177 with an AGS SWAT 8-32x56 ir... Leathal combination! can range find to a yard and put pellets where they matter out to 60 yards plus with little wind. great light gathering and the IR is useful lamping and at dusk. Im very confident with this set up and have also done well at FT and HFT comps....

now.. i got my ticket the other month and just got myself a new sako quad varmint in 17hmr. ive matched it with a simmons WTC 3.5-10X50..shot well on sunday, though it was a bit windy! anyway.. the question is.. do i swap the scopes around?

the rangefinding may be more use on the air rifle as you need to place your shots more accurately for rabbits and the trajectory is more of a concideration... or is it?? the 17 shoots pretty flat to about 175 yards.. but after that? would it be an advantange to rangefind to the nearest few yards for calculating drop?

Im not sure!

Er...HMR past 175 yards? :no:

Ric

hello,

Im not sure!

Scopes and reticles become very personal and can also have a serious effect on your pocket, not either of these though!

The AGS is acceptable and the Simmons is an excellent scope for the money.

They have different reticles though, so that is the first surprise, the second is that if you have an 8-32 on an air rifle why did you get a 3.5-10 on an HMR.

I'm a bit lost to be honest... :hmm::hmm:

ummm fair points raised.. though surely 175 yards is not too much to ask for on a quiet night? problem solved re scope.. burris 6.5-20x50 fieldview 2. nice glass, returned the simmons, and yes, it now has a mill dot reticule.

cheers all

ummm fair points raised.. though surely 175 yards is not too much to ask for on a quiet night? problem solved re scope.. burris 6.5-20x50 fieldview 2. nice glass, returned the simmons, and yes, it now has a mill dot reticule.

cheers all

Watch out bunniespost-43150-126047708769_thumb.jpg

cheers all

We all take a different view and all have different shooting abilities, I am a competant shot and the best I have done (so far) on a bunny is 258 yards with a 17g V-Max, I know one guy who has done 283 yards...this is the EXCEPTION and most definately NOT THE NORM.

I consider the HMR a perfectly reasonable 100-150 yard tool, I would not buy one expecting 175 yard shots on a daily basis!

i completely agree. have managed 226 yards with an hmr on a rabbit, but would much prefere to take them at 100-150... so it looks like 175 is not too much to ask for on a quiet night? 4" ish drop with a 100yard zero? with no wind.. shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Ive just had a look at Chuck Hawkes on zeroing. The maximum Point Blank Range for the HMR firing 17gr is 165 yds. That is, the Point of Impact will be no more than 1.5" higher or lower than the Point of Aim from "under the muzzle" to 165 yds. Lay the cross hairs on the body, correct for windage, dead bunny. No need to correct for elevation. That gives you 1.5" high at 100yds, 5.5" low at 200.

Ric

Ive just had a look at Chuck Hawkes on zeroing. The maximum Point Blank Range for the HMR firing 17gr is 165 yds. That is, the Point of Impact will be no more than 1.5" higher or lower than the Point of Aim from "under the muzzle" to 165 yds. Lay the cross hairs on the body, correct for windage, dead bunny. No need to correct for elevation. That gives you 1.5" high at 100yds, 5.5" low at 200.

Ric

The HMR catches me out sometimes with drop, last night was unfortunately a good example.

First off, things tend to seem futher away at night and the HMR does not drop as I expect, I missed 2 over the top last night because I overcompensated for distance and drop.

Fortunately one stayed around long enough for me to get him ........