any tips on how to get my russel working

i have a six month old parson( have bred and worked them for years)he is just starting bushing.

the best bet is to take him out ferreting and get him used to the shotgun,the rest will come at its own speed.don't push and rush him. let him play and see others work he will soon "click".

atb with the pup.

ive got a russle bitch shes 1 1/2 now she didnt really step in to her stride untill she was about 1yr old like ppl have said give it a few rats i put mine in a empty wheely bin with 2 and they didnt last 10 seconds the dog will come in to its own when its ready dont rush it or you will spoile it. like people say good things come to those who wait regards jed and levo

as anyone out there got any tips on how to get my 6 month old jack russel work

:wallbash:

i want it to work through the bushes and mark

because me an the boys got lurchers but no terriers need to get myself a few

russels are shit mate never seen a good one in 30 years :thumbdown:

i dont know were uv been looking because iv seen some good working russell's. their's good and bad in every bread

i dont know were uv been looking because iv seen some good working russell's. their's good and bad in every bread

well said n dev finally some common sence in this post

well said n dev finally some common sence in this post

[/quote id say he's a lad that keeps black dog's and and thinks noting els can do the job. well he's wrong all ya have ta do is look back at this post theirs plenty of working russell's out their

Edited by n dev

My wee jack started about a year old , like digging holes and disapearing i mean, an old guy told me to catch a mouse (for pups) and put it in a barrell or something and shove the jack russell in , but his jack russell was a pure mentalist! The guy died recently and the wee jack russell is heartbroken, i think its like 14 years old or something :( Ive never tryed it so i dont know if it would work or not :D

Putting rats and a dog in a wheely bin?,FFS :wallbash:.Don't go down this old out of date road,just let it be a pup and it'll come to it's own in it's own time.In time just let it hunt about where it might come upon a rat or whatever you want it to hunt and let it's instincts cut in,but let it be a puppy first. :thumbs:

pmsl. have you got a white stick. :blink: knocked around with terriers for over thirty years. always had a good russell. each to there own :drink:

i have had and seen some good russels work if you know were to look their around.i worked one last season who was put in some testing earths and could do the time a very good fox dog i would do anything to have him back we dug him week in week out.so take your time with him if his bred right he will go when the time is right.

Putting rats and a dog in a wheely bin?,FFS :wallbash:.Don't go down this old out of date road,just let it be a pup and it'll come to it's own in it's own time.In time just let it hunt about where it might come upon a rat or whatever you want it to hunt and let it's instincts cut in,but let it be a puppy first. :thumbs:

its best to let them find the rat ,but if theyres no rats around giving them a caught rat is alright :thumbs: seen it make dogs myself