Problem with polecat

Guest Erin go bragh

Guest Erin go bragh

I have noticed that my little polecat hes 4 months old i have an albino also in with him but this morning i noticed him making the noise and wouldnt come out of the box to play he was backin his rear end up into the corner and squeezing to go to the toilet but nothing would come out he done this near enough every 10 secounds and he was not eating but drinking water i looked at his ear end and notices a lump with puss coming out now this happend when he was about 2 months old and the vet sold us tablets and KY jelly to put on it i have been told it is the food he may not be digesting it propery but to feed him in bread soaked in milk and feed them seperate and to put some suddo cream on it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Sorry i could not narrows the read down but i must include all.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Never worry about how much ye say when ye have something that ye want to say, mate ;)

I don't like the sound of ANY of that. Animal's 'constipated'. That's obvious. But that wouldn't cause an ear infection ~ not in my book. And it happened before? Couple of months back? Ok, then what ever caused it then hasn't changed then, has it?

What are ye feeding them on? If it's Not fresh, whole carcasses, chuck out what ever it was and get them onto fresh, whole carcasses.

It's always possible that the ear infection's a manifestation of the inner ferret. A ferret which is all f***ed up. Bread and milk 'Slops' would loosen his guts up alright, but being such sh*t, it wouldn't do much to bolster his immune system or in any other way, shape or form 'do him good'. That ferret needs doing good to.

First things first: What are they getting to eat?

i have had both problems at one point but seperately the constipation was a

horible thing to see their tummys swelled up to the point they

couldnt walk. basically overnite [bANNED TEXT] the vet did was lubed up a thermometer

and slowly and gently eased it up the ferrets butt to activate the ferrets

anus and the lubricant rubbed off internally also which helped him pass things immediately

it more or less made them go to the toilet immediately.

i have also had what looked like whitehead spots on mkits round thier bum and genitals

i never got them to the vets to find out about it as they had already died one had

several of these spotty looking things it looked nasty so get them to the vets quick.

i have since been told the puss can be toxic and spread through the body and in some

cases not but go on the side of caution and get it checked .it could be that it is just going to be

a poorly ferret. the causes and solutions i cannot say im no expert

but the best of luck with your poly and let me know the outcome

chay

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:rolleyes: Nuff said, mate! Situation (Hopefully!) soon to be sorted then. Re read my first post and Act On It! ~ Before it's too late for the poor little mite.

Good grief. Perhaps they'd like to Pin this one, eh? As a Clear Message to all the f*** heads who Still like to bang on about, ' Oh well, I've turned the entire course of Natural History and Evolution on it's head and I feed my ferrets complete SHIT out of a f***ing bag and no harm's come of it! '.

Yes. And I've fed ferrets, for forty odd bloody years, on their Natural Diet. Only Ever lost them prematurely the two times I deviated from that simple rule!

Get some fresh road kill down their necks, mate. Or get out there and kill them something. Ask ye butcher / game dealer for rabbits heads. Just Get Them Off That Shit!

Good man :good:

Never worry about how much ye say when ye have something that ye want to say, mate ;)

I don't like the sound of ANY of that. Animal's 'constipated'. That's obvious. But that wouldn't cause an ear infection ~ not in my book. And it happened before? Couple of months back? Ok, then what ever caused it then hasn't changed then, has it?

It's always possible that the ear infection's a manifestation of the inner ferret.

First things first: What are they getting to eat?

Traps I think he left an R off ear and wasn't on about the head end :icon_eek:

Whole carcase is ferret food, biscuits is for when your freezer is empty or you can't get out to catch them something. The ferrets turd is sloppy any way when fed biscuits like when you have been on the Stella and curry and just imagine if thats what you lived off and lived with ring sting day in day out, I think your hoop would go funny too :o

Gnipper

Sorry but this subject really gets my goat. People love to bark on about feeding ferrets road kill etc etc is the best thing for them and that feeding them dry food is only done by "lesser" people who are basically neglecting their animals. Let me make a couple of points.

1. Road kill, unless it is minutes old can develop high levels of bacteria especially e-coli and botulism (both of which are lethal to ferrets). In hot weather this can be as quick as 30 minutes or less.

2. A ferret is a domesticated animal not a wild one and just like the dog has had its diet adapted. Do all these people shouting about you should be feeding your ferret this you should be feeding it that feed their dogs on road kill... I think not.

3. Feeding dry ferret food (not dog or cat biscuits which do not have the right nutritional balance) does not produce sloppy poo they are as firm as any fed on meat if not firmer.

I have fed my ferrets on dry food for the last 10 years and have never had a problem related to the fact that their diet is incorrect. People should stop trying to blame their diet for their ferret ailments and start looking at other reasons, like dirty water bottles, dirty hutches and general bad husbandry!!!

1. Road kill, unless it is minutes old can develop high levels of bacteria especially e-coli and botulism (both of which are lethal to ferrets).

Quite true, except it would take more than a few minutes for it to build up. Road kill is far from ideal however; freshly killed (hunted/shot) bunnies, pigeons, crows etc are much better.

In hot weather this can be as quick as 30 minutes or less.

Must have had an enormous amount of bacteria when live, then. Bacteria only multiply every 20 minutes (by mitosis), so the numbers would "only" double in that time. That's a very small increase in bacterial terms. The live animal would have to have already been crawling in toxic bacterium to spawn a deadly amount inside 30 minutes (time for one set of mitosis) even under high heat and other conducive conditions.

2. A ferret is a domesticated animal not a wild one and just like the dog has had its diet adapted. Do all these people shouting about you should be feeding your ferret this you should be feeding it that feed their dogs on road kill... I think not.

Oh, here we go lol Don't work for a pet food company do you? If not, with respect, maybe you ought to do a little more reading. Before you get your hackles up (not intending to insult you), you might want to read the Ox Hearts thread in Health & Nutrition.

I'd LOVE for you to tell me HOW exactly a dog and a ferret has "adapted" its diet. Show me the mechanism. Show me the physiological changes resulting FROM that mechanism. Please do provide some evidence for your statement. Can't wait to see it. As for feeding our dogs "road kill", hell yeah they get whole carcases; rabbits, squirrel, pig, fish, lamb, pigeon etc - and when I have no carcases on hand they get raw meaty bones.

3. Feeding dry ferret food (not dog or cat biscuits which do not have the right nutritional balance) does not produce sloppy poo they are as firm as any fed on meat if not firmer.

We agree on something then! Dog and cat biscuits do not have the right nutritional balance. Not for ferrets, and certainly not for dogs or cats.

I have fed my ferrets on dry food for the last 10 years and have never had a problem related to the fact that their diet is incorrect. People should stop trying to blame their diet for their ferret ailments and start looking at other reasons, like dirty water bottles, dirty hutches and general bad husbandry!!!

Are you sure? How can you know? What problems HAVE you had with dogs and ferrets? As for dirty water bottles, dirty hutches and bad husbandry - amen to that! I've fed raw for donkey's years (nature has fed raw for millions of years) and I'VE never had a problem either. No periodontal disease, no skin conditions, no autoimmune disorders, no excessive shedding, no stomach/digestive complaints, no hyperactivity so commonly seen in kibble fed dogs/ferrets, the list is long.

Anyway, I need to get off to school to pick the eldest up from drama club. I am looking forward to seeing your scientific evidence showing that dogs and ferrets have changed in nutrition/dietary requirements, including the alteration of their physiological and biochemical structures necessitating this shift. Plenty of scientific references, please. Without those it's all talk.

Cheers mate,

Lee

Edited by RainmakerKennels

Dried food is for the rich :11: ...Fecked if I can afford that stuff!...Your local butcher has to pay good money to have his bones and chicken carcass's taken away. Get down the town and ask him for a bag of chicken carcass's and he will most likely give you two bags, and the wings will be there so you will have some grub for the dog also :D

Have to disagree with you there on those points.. :no: ...Their innards are still the same as they were when God was a boy. Years back I dispatched an ageing pet rabbit for a friend and then opened it up to see the difference twixt it and its coney cousin. The pet rabbit had to live on a non-natural crap diet with out proper excersise so much so that all its internal organs were in a terrible state, tiny heart and lungs etc :cry: . Scats produced after a regular diet of dried crap are not as firm as those produced by fur/flesh/feather and bone. No I don't pick 'em up and squeeze them to be sure :11: , I've shovelled tons of the stuff over the years so I've been up close and almost personnel with a lot of shit :11: . Dried dog food has the same effect on our canine chums. Look at the poo you see scattered around, squidgy and fecking smelly :sick: obviously from pamperd pooches fed on tinned stuff and dried packet kibble. My Meg' gets fed BARF and her waste is only a tiny proportion of what I have seen from the aforementioned stuff.

yis :)