Beagles

Anyone use beagles for rabbiting? Are they any good? I know they are great scent hounds but do they actually catch rabbits or just flush them for lurchers etc? Can't imagine one being quick enough to catch a rabbit somehow! What do people think?

Anyone use beagles for rabbiting? Are they any good? I know they are great scent hounds but do they actually catch rabbits or just flush them for lurchers etc? Can't imagine one being quick enough to catch a rabbit somehow! What do people think?

That'll be a no then!

That'll be a no then!

if you have 1 give it a go at worst it wont catch the rabbithmm.gif

hi mate we used to run a beagle on its own it was great fun. But it would hunt anything from squirel to deer but we caught more game with the help from the beagle than any time. Yes they will catch rabbits. A lad from this site now has the beagle. Good luck if you get one and hope you are fit lol

my mate off here, bobhope, has a beagle x russel bitch, going well hunts up all day, bushes rabbits all day long, atb

That'll be a no then!

if you have 1 give it a go at worst it wont catch the rabbithmm.gif

Don't have one yet, trying to decide what dog to get in the new year. At the moment I'm just ferreting with nets but I want a dog that'll be good at rabbiting.

Hi , I have two beagles they are ok at rabbiting will chase and flush but are normally too slow to catch them.Generally they are not great rabbiting dogs they are very very hard to recall when on a scent also very loud. :wallbash: Great dogs tho and have great stamina :D

ahh, you've answered the other question i was going to ask....I've seen vids where they're howling as they're following a scent, that'd be no good for me because the rabbits would hear and then I'd have difficult bolting them with the ferrets. do all beagles do that? I'm wondering if a spaniel would be a better option?

A beagle hunts through it's nose and scent. Traditionally they would hunt hares in a pack. IMHO it would not be great for ferreting because they speak on the line and would be very noisy and not quick enough to course a rabbit. Hope this is useful.

If for bushing though I would say that a beagle would be a great dog for you or maybe a beagle cross