bedlington help

Guest blueboy

Hello folks i have a bedlington dog who's 13 month old, as to yet he's showing no signs of being (terrier like) can anyone tell me at what age he could change, He was bred from a strain that works to the gun, my vet has seen the parents work and says the're very good.He picks up very well around the garden and has an excellent nose, but take him away from his home surroundings and he becomes a bit of a wimp, show him a twig and he'll have to walk round it, if a rabbit bolts in front of him he just ignores it, but drag a rabbit skin round the garden and he goes crackers. any advice welcome...mick

Thats the trouble with buying dogs from parents or lines you personally havnt seen work

Wouldnt trust some elses views and not a vets.They can tell you if its healthy but thats about it.

Why not spend another £100-£150 and buy a real working terriers such as a russel or a fell.

the vet is a member of the shoot where the parents work, so why shouldnt i trust her judgement?

It could just be a case of giving the dog more time blueboy. I had a terrier cross that wouldn't chase a rabbit but it wasn't long before she turned on and then there was no turning back.

What the lads are trying to say is that it's best to see the parents work, if possible, when you are buying a pup as then you'll have a better idea of what you are buying into. If I wanted a pup to bring on for terrier work, then I'd like to see the parents do the work in question. You've bought a pup from what sound like parents who work a line with beaters so you've taken a bit of a chance when it comes to how the offspring turn out in terms of terrier work. You just don't know and that's the problem. Always buy and breed from good working stock and you'll be better placed to get something off it.

The dog might come good given time, but then again, it might not. I know Waz has a Bedlington, and I hope I'm not out of place in saying this, but he was/isn't happy with it.

Best of luck and keep us informed

It says oxo on buses

Would you buy a car with out a test drive?

sorry dont see the point of your comments.

i think he likes to drive his dogs around first to see if he likes them :laugh:

yes.. must be very old to remember oxo on busses...............all i'm asking is at what age do bedlintons start to mature

i cant answer that one mate but people say boarder terriers are slow starters up to three years old(not all are though)

thanks for the info i bought the dog specifically from these lines because i just want the dog to flush rabbits for my BOP but at the moment hes not too confident other than at home cheers .....mick

hello mate...i have a bedlington bitch who did nothing untill she was 14 months then one day the penny dropped ...i havent looked back since..her mother was the same and she is now 13...people say they are nervuos and shy but when the time comes..you will see a different dog...thats if hes bred right..all the best bobby

when you say the right lines is it a kc dog if not does it come with any paper history is what sort of names,,also you will have to socialize( crap spelling i know ) it as the dog is fine in your garden and it knows where it is, did you started taking it out at 12 wks to see different places .smell .sights just to let it know there is a big world out there ?

Hybred

when you say the right lines is it a kc dog if not does it come with any paper history is what sort of names,,also you will have to socialize( crap spelling i know ) it as the dog is fine in your garden and it knows where it is, did you started taking it out at 12 wks to see different places .smell .sights just to let it know there is a big world out there ?

Hybred

The dog was 12 weeks when i got him then i had to wait for his second injection so he was about 16 wks old when he first went out, hes good with other dogs and even horses.What he hates most is things getting cought in his coat like twigs and brambles, it distracts him and drives him mad.When he was about 10 months old he did find a dead bunny on a path and without prompting he bought it to me and sat at my feet and a week later walking through a field, at the side of a hedge he stopped his nose went in the air he made his way through the edge (eventually) walked through 12 feet of grass (about his height) and found some rabbit guts,but there was no urgency,its as though he'd rather be at home in bed.