advice on what to do about a crying pup!!!

i got my pup on wednesday night, he came home and cried for no more than 5 minutes, TONIGHT though, he has been at it for a few hours, my next door neighbour is a crabbit censored.gif and i dont want him phonin the plod or anything, am i best to leave the pup to cry, let him get over the fact he is away from his mother, brothers and sisters and pray it stops soon? i doesnt bother me at all but i dont want any grief from my neighbours.

any advice is very welcome

cheers

mcass123

Some say a wind up ticking alarm clock under a blanket in its bed is good as it resembles the dams heart beat. Personally every pup I,ve ever had , has the T shirt I,ve been wearing that day chucked in it,s bed. They cry mainly for company, then either hungry (I make sure pups have meat before bedtime) or they are cold. 99 times out of 100 the pup feels lonley , so a radio left on low can also help..... I leave radio on low 27/7 in my pigeon loft as it has calming effect.

i took all my pups to bed for the first week, and i mean in my bed :whistling: then on the scond week i gave them there own bed in my room and they have always slept there. good thing about it was i got them house trained very quick as they would wake me in the night for a pee and i would take them outsid,e and as i made shore they only went outside in the day (aside from the odd accident)they never thought of the house as a toliet. i would not worry about nextdoor. just say hay its pup. hot water bottle in a blanket, ticking clock , lots of stuffed toys.

Meant to say old bill should not get involved. Too much noise from whatever reason is noise polution ( council officer not crimminal) but I am talking loud music etc. In the case of a pup............ It,s just that.. a pup... Tell your neighbours they,ll just have to live with it for a few days.. They ALL very soon settle down... GOOD LUCK.

Meant to say old bill should not get involved. Too much noise from whatever reason is noise polution ( council officer not crimminal) but I am talking loud music etc. In the case of a pup............ It,s just that.. a pup... Tell your neighbours they,ll just have to live with it for a few days.. They ALL very soon settle down... GOOD LUCK.

Try the hot water bottle, clock etc. but i try and leave a blanket for the dam and pups to sleep on for a few days before i pick the pup up, the familiar smell seems to calm them down a bit i think. But as for ALL lurchers calming down soon, my first lurcher cried every night for 18 months and then started as soon as the sun started coming up. I did a lot of things wrong with this pup though because i didn't know any better. Whatever you do don't go and see it if its whining. thats what i did and paid for it!!

The little chap's only 6 weeks old isn't he - very young to be coping with being alone in a kennel.

Dogs are pack animals and he's been taken away from his mum very young so he's lonely and scared and that's probably why he's crying.

My whippets live in the house and have access to the bedrooms if they want - they've never made a sound at night because they feel part of the pack. And that's the human pack as well as the doggy one lol

My lurcher pups live outside but they have each other for company (as well as heat lamp, furry blankets and plenty of food)and they come in the house during the day, so no problem there either.

If you can't keep him in the house, then all the advice give above is good - ticking clock, radio, warmth, food. But above all else I reckon the little chap needs company :thumbs:

Edited by jinnyfizz

thanks guys, he has a wee radio in with him the now, he cried when i walked away bit this was for literally 30 seconds

fingers crossed, i agree though he must be lonely, i dont have the option of keeping him inside so al have to stick with it, on the whole he is a great wee addition, am thinking of getting another pup in with him for company

atb

mcass

i got my pup on wednesday night, he came home and cried for no more than 5 minutes, TONIGHT though, he has been at it for a few hours, my next door neighbour is a crabbit censored.gif and i dont want him phonin the plod or anything, am i best to leave the pup to cry, let him get over the fact he is away from his mother, brothers and sisters and pray it stops soon? i doesnt bother me at all but i dont want any grief from my neighbours.

any advice is very welcome

cheers

mcass123

heya, :) when we got our pup home, we knew we would have that problem, so we put it in its puppy cage with blankets/toy, it had a full tummy and radio on. and ignored it and went to sleep. It cried and whined which is understanably a bit annoying!!but obviously inevitable..so we ignored it and ignored it- its hard to do, but after a few nights it soon began to settle. Just dont say anything whatsoever when it cries so it doesnt gain any type of attention and itll eventually learn to settle and have a bedtime routine!Dogs get used to a routine dont they, so sooner or later theyll realise what the score is. I hope all goes well with the new pup

Edited by foxylady

you should have asked for a bit of the blanket out of the box that it and the rest of the pups ware beding down on.the smell of the otheir pups should settle it down.if the lad hoo you got the pup of is handy 2 you get round and get a bit of him thumbs.gif

you must have read that in a book didnt think you were that intelegent lolclapper.gif