what rifle is best?

Both will do but I prefer the .22LR. Use subsonic bullets and a moderator and you won't hear it, like an air riffle. Subs are good to 60/70 yards and I have shot bunnies at 80+. Standard or high velocity will do 90+ yards. I have shot magpies and pigeon at 100yrds but that is rare. I normal shoot 40 to 70 yards.

Bullets are the cheepest on the market and the gun will lasts for years. Get one with a good trigger or one that you can tune up. Trigger and scope are the 2 most important things as most gun will shoot straight. I use a Ruger and RB Basic trigger. CZ is good too but budget in a new trigger.

The 17HRM have 2 roungs. Ballistic and plan bullets heads. The ballistic will destory the meat unless head shots. the other will kill well but I have heard accuracy goes a little. This gun will reach out further than the .22LR but is very affected by wind. The .22LR in range is barely impacked by wind. 17 Hrm round are more expenses.

Hope that helps

.22 if your gona eat them .17 if you want to make a mess,.17 just to loud and easly affected by wind,zero the .22 to 65 yards and with a bit of practice you'll be taking bunnies out at 90-100 yards with subs, i use winchester seem to be most consistant in my cz. :gunsmilie:

Edited by allydog

Are we to assume your asking about Air Rifles

Or Rim Fire

It will not make the slightes bit of difference to the quarry if you hit it in the correct place with a decent powered air rifle if that is what your using,

a head shot will kill a rabbit humanely 22 or 177, a shot in the front chest will also do the job hitting heart or lungs.

If you refering to rimfire then again both will do the job, but due to the fact that a 17 HMR has a much faster and more explosive bullet it will make a bigger mess than a lower velocity solid bullet as a 22LR.