Advise on an old HW77 K Venom required

Hi all,

Not long joined and never posted, but thought some of you might be able to help with advise.

I have a pre 1989 HW 77k .177 S/N 103XXXX Venom (Pre Webley), that I was given. I use it in the field 2 - 3 times a week in all weathers and although I clean it thoroughly, the signs of age are apparent (slight spotting, patchy blueing, a couple of knocks etc). that said it still delivers with a zero of 35 yds and head shots easily obtainable (in the right stance!) at 50yds.

The gun hasn't been serviced in at least the six years I have had it and probably more like 12. No local smithy,(I've tried the three in the 30 mile radius)seems keen on doing so, as it will invalidate the venom tune, as soon as they open it and all three have mentioned devaluing the gun in doing so

I'm not precious about the Venom name but certainly don't want to loose the performance. as it hasn't had a service in umpteen years would the performance really be affected negatively and is there a way of determining whether I'm knocking around the farm with a gun most would wrap in cotton wool as some smithy's think?

All thoughts welcome! Thanks.

As above, if its not broken, dont fix it. My dad has an ancient diana air rifle he has had since he was a kid. Hes never ever serviced it and he still uses it all the time to shoot around his property. I helped him zero it in a few weeks back and it was still shooting spot on. Mind you, i couldnt hit a barn door with it as im used to my s410, but he was a dead shot with it being more used to it than i am.

Thanks for your generous offer Wabbit slayer, but I think I'll go with the majority thought of 'it works therefore it's fine!'

Just spent a great afternoon demonstrating it's working to some woodies. Bagged four, delighted!

Thanks for the advise guys!

Hi mate,

I have had the pleasure of ownership of quite a few Venom'ed spring rifles over the years.

When you cock the rifle, is the stroke still smooth, gentle and even or does the rifle feel "graunchy"?

What is the recoil like? it should be a gentle, predictable, light bump into the shoulder. Is the rifle "dieseling" ie: a faint whiff of smoke/burnt oil upon firing. If it exibits none of the above negative symptoms and only the positive ones, leave well alone :thumbs:

Where about are you, there are plenty of good lads at Airgun clubs around the UK who are fantastic spring rifle tuners.

Re: the bluing-try and get hold of a product called Woodstock gun blue polish-available from a lad called William Gehrke on the Airgunbbs website. Alternatively, a gentle wipe with 000grade wire wool coated in gun oil.

Enjoy a classic mate

Edited by SouthernHunter