lost ferret

my mate has had an escapie, from the hutch we have a live trap set up but with plenty of local hedgerows complete with holes does anyone have any magic ways to get the little bugger back, im thinking its the last we have seen of her but hope not as she was a machine, any ideas welcome thanks guys

Baited trap is the way...make sure you put food, water, and preferably something of a recognisable smell in to it. I used a towel from the court last time I lost one...It worked. Plus if you catch them at night, they need something to keep warm in.

Hope you catch her. It is quite normal to get them back.

my mate has had an escapie, from the hutch we have a live trap set up but with plenty of local hedgerows complete with holes does anyone have any magic ways to get the little bugger back, im thinking its the last we have seen of her but hope not as she was a machine, any ideas welcome thanks guys

Just keep looking and don't give up hope .Be honest with neighbours about the escape and you might be surprised how well the word goes round .

I lost(my fault -poor cage- door awareness) one a couple of years ago that turned up under my shed a couple of weeks later as fat as a piglet !

My friends boy lost his favorite jill when we were out about 5weeks ago. Simply disappeared off the radar -collar and all-in one of those innocent looking little chalk buries that all too often give problems.

The word was put out ,the ground was walked every day by either the lad or his girlfriend and the jill ,complete with collar and a few hitch-hiking ticks, was picked-up over three weeks later in the same area . Good luck

Edited by comanche

One of mine escaped from its hutch in the garage a few years ago and about a week later heard a scrabbling noise coming from the bin and it was the ferret! don't know if it had got in there strait away and eaten the scraps or had found its way back in to the garage and fallen in there? either way once it was in there it was trapped!

Another time i didn't shut the shed door properly and all 8 ferrets got out and were in the gardens of 3 houses. I had to round them all up in the dark using a head lamp!

Another time when i was a lot younger and didn't have a locator i lost one down a warren so i left its carry box open with a gutted rabbit in it. went back at dusk and there it was asleep in the carry box next to a half eaten rabbit.

Guest porterlord

One of mine escaped from its hutch in the garage a few years ago and about a week later heard a scrabbling noise coming from the bin and it was the ferret! don't know if it had got in there strait away and eaten the scraps or had found its way back in to the garage and fallen in there? either way once it was in there it was trapped!

Another time i didn't shut the shed door properly and all 8 ferrets got out and were in the gardens of 3 houses. I had to round them all up in the dark using a head lamp!

Another time when i was a lot younger and didn't have a locator i lost one down a warren so i left its carry box open with a gutted rabbit in it. went back at dusk and there it was asleep in the carry box next to a half eaten rabbit.

my ferret the other week escaped. it came running back to me when i went out to feed them all. they cant get fare has my garden is boxed in. another time i found one asleep with my terrier in the box. keep your eyes open they know where they get fed. hope you find it.

My 3 jills escaped last winter, When we had the snow, there was little foot prints all over the yard, 2 of them appeared a few hours later at the back when they heard the mrs having a fag.. the 3rd spent the day sleeping in next doors shed until it heard my voice then reapeared bouncing around the corner like a little puppy.. I think their curiosity leads them off but they dont seem to stray too far.. Hope you find her mate..

thanks for the replys people had a phone call this morning at 7 from my mate to say the trap had caught it, as most of you said the draw of food and she cant have gone to far, he did say she is as fat as so she must have had a good feed somewhere, cumbrian-whippet love the story of your 8 loose ones, had a great image of you running round the gardens on all 4s with neigbours twitching the curtains, with "look whats he at now" and "look mum that guy from next door is running round the garden with a torch on his head" hope your friendly with your neighbours hahaha happy hunting and thanks again

well done mate happy days.....I lost a jill a few years ago from her hutch in my hay barn. she was an albino jill and had been missing for over 4 months when my wife found her in the same barn she went missing from whilst clearing old bales out ready for new ones. best of it was 7 days latter she gave birth to 9 Kitts 7 of them polecat colours so I'm guessing I wasn't the only one localy that lost a ferret at the time.

Nobody ever came forward with maintenance payments though :laugh:

ATB