first crosses and reverse crosses

i favour a sturdy type of lurcher. and prefare a dog that can be worked week in week out. without to many knocks. i dont like the speed merchants that get all the limelight. dont get me wrong speed is essential in a lurcher. i just prefare the landrover sort than the farari. so come on lets see some of the work horses. all types and breeds. get your carthorse cin the limelight and tell us about there strengths and benefits over the rockets :yes: yis cleanspade

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i favour a sturdy type of lurcher. and prefare a dog that can be worked week in week out. without to many knocks. i dont like the speed merchants that get all the limelight. dont get me wrong speed is essential in a lurcher. i just prefare the landrover sort than the farari. so come on lets see some of the work horses. all types and breeds. get your carthorse cin the limelight and tell us about there strengths and benefits over the rockets :yes: yis cleanspade

totaly agree ive been there and got the t shirt from owning speed merchants in the past, my view as changed now ive gone lurcher to lurcher bred for a decent study animal that will not break easily on rough ground, when youve seen a couple of speed merhants come unstuck it puts you off having so much speed in a dog atb john

always though and i dont mean any badness reverse three qaurters were waste for a keen hunting man my mate had a good one years ago but was limited to only rabbits she was a good dog but as she got older she had no natural pace , she won the nlrc rabbiting finals twice but limited ,as she got older ,

wastage would be whate doesnt suite your needs whinn. i'm not talking daytime dogs. i'm talking about dogs that can run on almost any terrain and still work the next day day in day out. ine had faster dogs. well bred dogs that where decent. but the more speed the more injuries they got. rough and ready dogs that would have a lot in common with captain scarlet :thumbs:

post-2078-125829599621.jpg

post-2078-125829596068.jpg

post-2078-125829593323_thumb.jpg

got some speedsters who hunt horrible ground not total speedsters but fast enough who hunt rough land lke qaurrys and hard stony stubbles they work day in and sometimes nites to , not cost me thirty quid in vets bills one of them , are you talking more like a terrier of spaniel type hunting , cover my old colie type hunt like that but the big saluks more sensible when shitty ground ,never thought people would bred dogs to just hunt rough shitty land to hunt and not catch , i like a dog top put game in the bag were ever even tho its a hard combinaition to get a times, only saw one reverse type mines are all lurcher to lurcher but carefully bred

Its the reason imho why the lurcher to lurcher bred dog will always reighn supreme.I cant realy get my head around why any body would want to breed 3 quarter breds any way first crosses fair enough.Saying that i have wats nearly a 3 quarter bred pup at nearly ten months old and she has no natrual running ability and the future does not look very bright for her.atb dell

nowadays the dog that can catch a bit of edible game in any form will always rule the roost in my eyes as it saves you on meat ,and you can barter the meat or sell the meat ,i can never see the piont of breeding one dimensinal dogs unless there only one qaury you can hunt then its a specailist dog sometimes every body has diffrent thoughts but to me fil the freezer help pay for his keep and help the butcher out with game

I have never kept a lurcher for inedible game or for that matter never purposly hunted inedible game.My impression on the bitza lurcher are based on [bANNED TEXT] i used to try and run a coursing club in the late 70s early 80s and the meets were not dominated by saluki hybreds in fact they were rare.All the dogs of note were lurcher to lurcher bred.atb dell

Depends where you are hunting , as a reverse 3/4 cross woud not catch a cold around where i hunt, they woud not have no where near enough pace or agile enough to come to terms with the shy quarry that is thin on the ground and gets lamped regular.

If you take a cross of this type up the hills where the ground is slow and the feilds are stone walled the yes they wil catch a few, but imo a half cross would always catch more.

Speed merchants should only stay so for so long as they should soon clue up to the game and learn to slow there pace and thus get the gears to use to there advantage, imo a one paced flat out speed merchent aint seen enough work to know otherwise.

Edited by merle24

got some speedsters who hunt horrible ground not total speedsters but fast enough who hunt rough land lke qaurrys and hard stony stubbles they work day in and sometimes nites to , not cost me thirty quid in vets bills one of them , are you talking more like a terrier of spaniel type hunting , cover my old colie type hunt like that but the big saluks more sensible when shitty ground ,never thought people would bred dogs to just hunt rough shitty land to hunt and not catch , i like a dog top put game in the bag were ever even tho its a hard combinaition to get a times, only saw one reverse type mines are all lurcher to lurcher but carefully bred

whinn if i wanted a dog that worked like a collie or spaniel thats what i would keep. or i would use my terriers. i'm talking about a rought and ready partner for ferreting lamping and daytime rabbiting. the same dog would have been handy for foxes pre ban and still is handy for finding wounded game and tracking. this type of dog will get game a plenty with the right owner.

mine is worked in quarries old railways old industrial estates rubish tips and just about anywhere there is vermin. my last bitch was a bitsa that had saluki and deerhound in its makeup was a little faster but on the same ground she would have been wrecked. bigger faster lurchers just wouldnt get to grips with there quarry on most of this ground.all my dog needs is enough speed to get to grips with a rabbit. any more is wasted :thumbs: one mans meat is another mans poison. dont get me wrong there are times that i wish he had that extra gear. and i often say ..spice would av ad that n.. but then spice would have been injured more often. and was :boogie: so i'll stick with my type :yes:

in my opinion the heavier lurchers are much maliened and can be very versitile and in the right hands account for plenty. yis

post-2078-125830484055_thumb.jpg

post-2078-125830478206.jpg

post-2078-125830468314_thumb.jpg

post-2078-125830461483_thumb.jpg

i never asked for opinion. :thumbs: i asked for some pics and info on the stronger/slower. lurchers . and there opinions are not disregarded. although i may disagree with some. and yes i can hunt over shite. as well as my more attractive and more productive ground.

the dog in the pics is a whippet cross. :thumbs:

some prettier land.

post-2078-125830775703_thumb.jpg

post-2078-12583079149_thumb.jpg

post-2078-125830769073_thumb.jpg

post-2078-125830762075.jpg

:yes:

We have one of each, my bitsa bitch is a speedster and when shes working she is very good BUT shes very fragile and has lost alot of time, and therefore experience, by being laid up. My wifes dog is a first cross JRTxwhippet, he is not as quick and but is bulletproof and will often catch in cover while lamping and is fearless hunting in woods. He is hard as nails and has had barely any injuries (except the unavoidable cuts and scrapes), because of this he gets out more and gets more experience.

Which is the better dog? No idea, i do know that if i didnt have him to cover while shes been injured i'd have been a very frustrated hunter. On the other hand she is a joy to watch. if she had always been sound then i wonder if he would have got as good because he wouldnt have been out as much :hmm: Maybe she will learn to run clever if she can avoid being lame so much and get the experience,i hope so!

Neither of them is perfect by a long stretch but between the two of them they keep me busy and the freezer full so we're happy! :D