Best dogs for rabbiting

I'm trying to work out what the best dogs for rabbiting are. Searching on the internet it always says the beagle is the number one choice but I'm not convinced purely because I don't think they'd be fast enough. I basically want 2 dogs that would be good for driving rabbits from brambles/undergrowth and quick enough to catch them in the open when my ferrets bolt them from the warren.

Having done loads of research I was thinking along the lines of a bedlington terrier combined with either an irish terrer or a lakeland terrier....or possibly a bedlington and a whippet lurcher. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm trying to work out what the best dogs for rabbiting are. Searching on the internet it always says the beagle is the number one choice but I'm not convinced purely because I don't think they'd be fast enough. I basically want 2 dogs that would be good for driving rabbits from brambles/undergrowth and quick enough to catch them in the open when my ferrets bolt them from the warren.

Having done loads of research I was thinking along the lines of a bedlington terrier combined with either an irish terrer or a lakeland terrier....or possibly a bedlington and a whippet lurcher. Does anyone have any advice?

WEATON /GREY :thumbs:

A little beddy whippet all the way mate perfect for rabbiting!!

ATB migmog.

sorry if i'm being thick but what's weaton?

:whistling:

a dog wat ya think :whistling:

There will be plenty of info on this site for you mate... from people who hunt the rabbit for food/sport and pest control. I fall into all of the above.

Id say that to get the best results, you should go for a bushing dog, and a lurcher, instead of trying for a dog that will do both. As the busher is hunting the cover, the lurcher will be waiting for the quarry to break out.

The dogs I use for bushing or hunting the rabbits in cover are spaniels and spaniel crosses. beagle/spaniel/terrier are an excellent cross for hunting the cover, and will likely speak on a hot scent, so alerting the lurchers or waiting guns.

I dont use pure terriers, even though they will do the job, as firstly, they could go to ground(not good if badger setts where you hunt), and secondly, it would likely ruin them working bunnies, as I need them to work fox regularly for the shoots in my area.

The types and crosses of lurcher that make good rabbiters is huge, so id say the best bet would be to select a pup to bring on, that is bred out of dogs doing the job you require. As a first lurcher for rabbiting, you wont go far wrong with a well bred collie based lurcher. Hope this helps.

All the best

DnN

There will be plenty of info on this site for you mate... from people who hunt the rabbit for food/sport and pest control. I fall into all of the above.

Id say that to get the best results, you should go for a bushing dog, and a lurcher, instead of trying for a dog that will do both. As the busher is hunting the cover, the lurcher will be waiting for the quarry to break out.

The dogs I use for bushing or hunting the rabbits in cover are spaniels and spaniel crosses. beagle/spaniel/terrier are an excellent cross for hunting the cover, and will likely speak on a hot scent, so alerting the lurchers or waiting guns.

I dont use pure terriers, even though they will do the job, as firstly, they could go to ground(not good if badger setts where you hunt), and secondly, it would likely ruin them working bunnies, as I need them to work fox regularly for the shoots in my area.

The types and crosses of lurcher that make good rabbiters is huge, so id say the best bet would be to select a pup to bring on, that is bred out of dogs doing the job you require. As a first lurcher for rabbiting, you wont go far wrong with a well bred collie based lurcher. Hope this helps.

All the best

DnN

Yeah that's great, makes sense...thanks for that!

Thats a wheatan x

post-3848-12580748873.jpg

sorry spellin scottish cant again , young bitch i have has got seven moth and shhes fearless ,shel make areal good rabit etc dog , alot of dogs you need to see the parents work to make your mind up whats the best as there not realy abest dog