Malinois x Greyhound

Hi guys I have a working line Malinois I use for sch and protection work and I have been wanting to use him in a cross with a running dog. I had a staghound I was going to use but she turned out to have poor joints etc so we gave her the flick and have recenlty been given a ex racing greyhound bitch. She has only raced twice then put aside for a brrod bitch so she has not been on any drugs that will affect her cycle. I am hoping to use pups for foxes, rabbits and hares and just wanted to know wether anyone has used this cross. I have done a search but I cant seem to find any advice on the ratio that may be best. Would you guys recomend straight cross or will the second generation be better if crossed back to greyhound or malinois. Any advice would be apreciated and if anyone has pics of this cross that would be cool to see aswell.

I will try to post pics asap of both dogs. I should also state that I am in Australia (as I want to use the pups on foxes)

A 1X will prob a harder type dog, more wind,better feet+coat. But even for foxes [pre ban] you still need alot of pace, foxes [are ] not slow. They are very agile+fast. I think a 1/4 malx3/4 grey, would be spot on for all quary.?? :thumbs:

Isn't a malinois basically a german shepherd,forgive me if i'm wrong.What would you get different crossing a malinois with a grey rather than a GSD,be interesting to find out ie:prey drive agility etc atb JB

before you read this im not knocking the gsd x and ive just brought one my self. But if i had a choose i would go with the malinois

the difference between a malinois and gsd is that the keenel club have ruined the gsd breed over the last 30 years. Like the formation of there back which now puts more probs into the hips and there are a few more things but now the police and army over here are starting to use the malinois because they havnt been messed with. Also the usa army have used the malinois as attack dogs for years as apparantly they are more aggressive.. Not like the gsd that would just grab the arm of an attacker or villian they would litterally jump with all fours and dive on the thing they would chase. Also the malinois are light and can move alot quicker and flighty on there legs then a gsd which makes them alot more handyer especially for hunting when crossed as you dont seem to get to many heavy ones. So in all there faster stronger more aggresive and most of all they havnt been messed with or in bread like the gsd

i have the sister to CI HIR pup, and i have never seen a more highly driven and confident pup.

the prey drive is unreal,..she was marking sets at 11 weeks old and jumping into and retriving from water like a labrador at 12 weeks. She is very intellegent yet stubborn with it...but i like that.

Plus she will bite...and not a puppy bite neither...

i will get some pics up at weekend

Isn't a malinois basically a german shepherd,forgive me if i'm wrong.What would you get different crossing a malinois with a grey rather than a GSD,be interesting to find out ie:prey drive agility etc atb JB

before you read this im not knocking the gsd x and ive just brought one my self. But if i had a choose i would go with the malinois

the difference between a malinois and gsd is that the keenel club have ruined the gsd breed over the last 30 years. Like the formation of there back which now puts more probs into the hips and there are a few more things but now the police and army over here are starting to use the malinois because they havnt been messed with. Also the usa army have used the malinois as attack dogs for years as apparantly they are more aggressive.. Not like the gsd that would just grab the arm of an attacker or villian they would litterally jump with all fours and dive on the thing they would chase. Also the malinois are light and can move alot quicker and flighty on there legs then a gsd which makes them alot more handyer especially for hunting when crossed as you dont seem to get to many heavy ones. So in all there faster stronger more aggresive and most of all they havnt been messed with or in bread like the gsd

Good post mate, spot on :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Try the 1st cross out first,you can always put it over a greyhound bitch in a few years and see how the 1/4 mal 3/4 grey differs.I think you`ll gain speed but lose some prey drive(on some quarry).I think the 1st cross would be ideal on foxes.I have a 5 month old pup from KNPV lines.He`s a beast of a dog,very aggressive with unbelievable prey drive.All the best

I got his brother!

post-155-125984582901_thumb.jpg

Edited by staybaytackleondig

'Fiz' is one of the keenest dogs I have ever came accross, her pry drive has to be seen to be believed. She would rabbit all day and she loved things that bite back! She just loves a challenge. I think a half cross would have a LOT to offer most lurcher people! Regards Warren

post-11010-12598498896_thumb.jpg

Sure there was a thread on mals x gh on here with some pictures

of them aswell a pure black one springs to mind

Mick..

it pissis me off wamkers thinking ther f*****g god,bred any old thing with anything ,ya just breeding shit dogs tht are no f*****g good you daft twat,just go and buy a dog off working parants !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ARSE SHAGGER )