Eye injury (caused by cat)

Bloody cats :realmad:

My eight month old patterdale x sealyham pup went out for a crap before and flushed a cat under one of the tarps out back. She's cornered it and started baying, and the bloody thing's "popped" her eye.

Had her at the vets as it was bleeding inside and "deflated", and he reckons the claw didn't "scratch" the eye, it's punctured right through to the back. She's on antibiotic drops and he wants another look tomorrow (free of charge) but reckons she'll be blinded.

Gutted, she was showing a lot of promise as well - only immature but coming on nicely. She'll be fine underground but I wonder how she'll do above ground (nailing rats etc) with no binocular vison?

Will just have to wait for the injury to settle and hope the vision hasn't gone. She still stuck with the cat til I saw what was happening and scooped her up. Unfortunately my shovel missed as the cat bolted :diablo:

EDIT: FWIW, the cat was a very large tom cat - some kind of Persian cross looking thing - and the pup is 11" and 11 lbs.

Edited by RainmakerKennels

It's very early days yet (about four hours since it happened) but after a jab of anti inflammatory, and three (hourly) drops of antibiotic so far, the bleeding/bruising is already disappearing :yes:

I covered the good eye up and moved my free hand towards her bad eye, and each time she closed it tight before I touched it. I was careful not to make a draft as I moved towards her so all signs are good - it seems the vision is back :yahoo:

When she saw the vet earlier, her pupil had constricted down to "pinprick" to help protect the eye - looks like its responding again :D

EDIT: Oh, and you're not very far from me at all... you serious about the g/h loan? Sick to feckin death of cats shittin in my (sizeable) back yard, yanking at the ferret cub wiring, and disabling my dogs GRRR

Edited by RainmakerKennels

Had that with one of mine mate...twice. Thought she'd lose her eye the second time, but the vet stitched her inner eyelid up over her eye and she came through ok, but her vision has never been great since. I've gone through some fucithalmic over the years :blink:

You have PM...

Had that with one of mine mate...twice. Thought she'd lose her eye the second time, but the vet stitched her inner eyelid up over her eye and she came through ok, but her vision has never been great since. I've gone through some fucithalmic over the years :blink:

Alright Stabs mate? How's it going?

Little sods them cats aren't they? Glad to hear your dog pulled through ok, even if the vision isn't 100%, it's better than 0% eh? :no:

Time will tell for this one, but it's looking good so far, thank god. The vet's got her on chloramphenicol, which is supposed to be for people. Basically, I could have gone to the chemist, bought a tube of eye antibiotics for three quid, and saved the other £47 I paid the vet (£50 in total).

Still, better safe than sorry when it's something like this. Cuts and rips, sorted - but I don't like playing with things like vision :blink:

Not bad mate, not bad at all.

The first time Nell had a cat was a nightmare! She had it in an old earth and it shredded her ears. It was a big, stinky old feral tom and it was a bugger!

The first time she got tagged in the eye, it went that smokey blue colour and she was straight down the vets. Second time was a bit more serious though and that's when she had her eyelid stitched up over. It didn't help that the wheaten cross got her above her eye a couple of years back either....poor little bugger

Guest tazdastokmaker

thats my stffy x fravret thing to do since my garden is about 50 yards long i let the cat get a wee bit in front and she chaese them under the shed or play fight with them :unsure: aswel my garden is coverd in snares for foxes and outher things that chod get my hawk but the dogs cant get neer the snares

Not bad mate, not bad at all.

The first time Nell had a cat was a nightmare! She had it in an old earth and it shredded her ears. It was a big, stinky old feral tom and it was a bugger!

The first time she got tagged in the eye, it went that smokey blue colour and she was straight down the vets. Second time was a bit more serious though and that's when she had her eyelid stitched up over. It didn't help that the wheaten cross got her above her eye a couple of years back either....poor little bugger

Sounds awful :(

Didnt realise cats could be so dangerouse actually... :unsure:

Hope the dog comes right lee,had mine to the vets yesterday due to a tare on each ear that wouldnt stop bleeding,taped the ears together, an injection of some kind along with eardrops 40quid so far i,ve got to take him back on friday there now saying to take the tape off they might have to sedate him which will be another 50 banged on. :icon_eek:

The vet's done a fluoro stain on the eye yesterday, and although the injury is still obviously present, she is (quote) "Healing quicker than could ever have been expected".

Yeah, cos she's a WORKING terrier from good blood!

The cornea is still punctured, but the pupil is reacting again and the blood has gone. There is still some pressure inside the eye but again it's draining away so hopefully she's coming right.

Wait til I see that cat again... and I don't care who sees this post. Allowing animals to roam is an offence, and if I catch one on my property once more, I'll be exercising the fact that they have no standing under law (cats that is).

Considering taking the carcase back to the owner and presenting a vet's bill If my pup was roaming and hurt their cat, wonder what the reaction would have been? *sigh* My pup had every right to shit in her own yard, and yes bark at the intruder she found there on OUR land.

Biding my time...

Lee