Russian Terrier

Strange thing happened to me today, was walking through the town and was stopped by a lad who had this huge fcuken dog with him, and his exact words to me were, “this is the lad you want for hunting, do any fox he would, any fox. I was walking with my son, no dogs with me.

Now I have never met this lad before, don’t know him from Adam, so how the fcuk does he know I have hunting dogs and have any of ye lads know of anyone that has used this type of dog for Charlie. I was informed by him that his dog is a Russian terrier. Big black hairy looking thing.

Just goes to show you, ya just don’t know when you are being watched.

The one I met was ment to be a personal protection dog. I put a sleeve on (puppy one at that) it took hold and every time I when to excite the bitch it let go, it seemed a bit poo.

May be worked like an old Airdale?

Edited by leegreen
Strange thing happened to me today, was walking through the town and was stopped by a lad who had this huge fcuken dog with him, and his exact words to me were, “this is the lad you want for hunting, do any fox he would, any fox. I was walking with my son, no dogs with me.

Now I have never met this lad before, don’t know him from Adam, so how the fcuk does he know I have hunting dogs and have any of ye lads know of anyone that has used this type of dog for Charlie. I was informed by him that his dog is a Russian terrier. Big black hairy looking thing.

Just goes to show you, ya just don’t know when you are being watched.

Just looked up a bit of history about the Russian Terrier,it was created by the Soviet military kennels 'Red Star' in the 1940's.A good example of breeding for temperament and other traits that were highly valued,before breeding for conformation.They wanted to breed a robust,high spirirted dog,willing to work for long periods, able to withstand the rigours of the soviet climate,the breeds used in the early years were Giant Shnauzers,Rottweilers,Airdales and Russian water dogs.Later,the number of dogs involved in it's creation went up to twenty breeds,and only the best were selected until the required Character and temperament was stable,but not in type.Only the Character and temperament counted,

and several years later the Rusian 'DOSAAF' breeders(DOSAAF is a paramiltitary organisation)bought dogs from the Red Star Kennels and set about standandardising the type and conformation without losing the good qualities,until 1984

when the breed became recognised as a distinct type.

p.s Leegreen,the Russian Terrier was compared to German Sheperd dogs with regards to it's intelligence & ability,without the undue aggression.

Edited by higgins

Another show dog, nothing more:

The Black Russian Terrier is a generally healthy and somewhat long-lived dog (lifespan of 10-14 years), however it is prone to certain hereditary diseases:

All this should be useful addition to a running dog, NOT