• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends what you want it for if you want a rifle for the long distance it is a good choice but if you are short range woodland stalking a shorter barreled .308 will probobly suit you better as a slower hevier bullet is less likly to be deflected by twigs and long grasses

the carcase damage is not bad with any sensible caliber if you place the shot well

hi. does anyone use a .270 for deer stalking. Is there alot of meat damage with this caliber? Im thinking of geting one. thanks. Mo

Nope, but a chap I used to stalk with had one. Meat damage isn't that bad and the calibre used to be very much in vogue. Not that inherently accurate (IMO).

IMHO there is better out there for your money.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero
hi. does anyone use a .270 for deer stalking. Is there alot of meat damage with this caliber? Im thinking of geting one. thanks. Mo

Nope, but a chap I used to stalk with had one. Meat damage isn't that bad and the calibre used to be very much in vogue. Not that inherently accurate (IMO).

IMHO there is better out there for your money.

John

what else would you recomend.. eg flat trajectory and good knock down power..

There is nothing living in this country that you cant cleanly kill with a .243

Fast, flat, and accurate, and little meat damage.

Anything bigger is just making up for the lack of something else!!!

Yawn.. :wankerzo4:

what else would you recomend.. eg flat trajectory and good knock down power..

Generally speaking stubby wide calibres like the .243" & .308 (6mm BR etc etc etc) are inherently more accurate due to more uniformed powder ignition etc.

Lets say you are zeroing at 200 yards, the .270 will have a drop of around 8" using 150 grain bullet, the .308 will have a similar drop using 150 grain bullets, 6.5x55 will have much the same and so on.

There are plenty of calibres to look at, .243" (just on the edge & JUST legal) / .25-06 / .30-06 / .270 / 6.5x55 / .308, hey the options are endless try a 7mm Rem mag!!

For my money and because I am boring, if I wanted a hard hitting round that was cheap to feed then the .308 wins the day for me personally.

John

I have a .308 and it puts lovely big holes in deer ! They are always heart/lung shots as that is the shot with no meat damage at all.

BUT the rifle that go's out most is my .260 as it is half the weight of my .308 makes a slightly smaller hole but with the same result. Only downside is unless you reload it is not an option so go for the .308.

P.s. I have to side with Vimto :clapper:

If I was to be picky, I would say you probably don't understand too much about ballistics. Firstly with regard to deer shooting 'fast' is not a requirement nor is 'flat' (whatever that is) perhaps you meant less loopy. You cant get more loopy than the 6mmPPC but its more accurate than most rifle calibres. Accuracy is the only bit I can agree with you. As for little meat damage - Hm... seen too many end results with 243 to agree with that - you may therefore be horrified to learn that there are a few Scottish Estates that will not permit guests to use the 243.

little meat damage with a 243? :whistling: i have seen a few roe shot with 243 and the meat damage was very bad... if i was faced with a 20stone red stag and only had a 243 i would feel slighly uneasy... main reason i wanted a 270 was because of the flat trajectory..

There`s some that just dont get it Coldweld :laugh:

........... everyone is entitled to an opinion, if you can't knock down a deer with a .243 then fine, is anyone telling you that you need to use a .243, use something bigger if you are happier, strange thing is every time I hit one with a .243 it falls down!

Even stranger when I hit the right ones with my .223, even the Roe in Scotland, they fall down as well, very odd!!

Probably because I was too close and didn't give them a chance... my furthest is still just under 300 yards, so any real deer stalkers will need a bigger calibre for all those 400-500 yard deer!

I am doing some tests at the moment on steel sheet and assorted calibres/ammunition...initial results show what I already knew..but there are those that still won't believe it when I start the thread about it!

Cheers All, Have a nice day!!!

little meat damage with a 243? :whistling: i have seen a few roe shot with 243 and the meat damage was very bad... if i was faced with a 20stone red stag and only had a 243 i would feel slighly uneasy... main reason i wanted a 270 was because of the flat trajectory..

I tend to agree with Holland, and meat damage is NOT necessarily about the calibre, although there are general inherent differences in calibres, the TYPE of bullet used also tends to make a lot of difference.

Not sure why you would feel uneasy faced with a 20stone red and a .243, you have the power to put him down at 500-600 yards if you have the right ammo and can shoot straight!

As said, and is 100% correct, there is Nothing living in this country you can't put down with a .243. Including a 1/2 ton adrenalin filled escaped cow which a pall dropped on the spot for the police around 4 years ago at around 120 yards with a 100g .243 SP.

Simple fact is that in general a larger calibre has more grunt as is therefore a little more forgiving on shot placement, NO CALIBRE is foolproof, plenty of deer still run with a .308 if you hit them in the wrong place!!

Also consider what you have said.. i have seen a few roe shot with 243 and the meat damage was very bad....this would obviously imply BIG wound, lots of damage and quick demise.....a .308 will tend to do less meat damage as it is going slower and the wound channel will not be as badly effected by the shock wave as the faster .243. This is a generalisation of course but I struggle to understand how you can suggest so much meat damage with a .243 and not be confident of killing the thing!!

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone else says, you must get what YOU are confident with..simple as...

ATB!!

PS. if the main reason you want a .270 is trajectory, you will find the .243 trajectory better than a .308!