elephant in 1 shot!!

Tosser!

Trouble is, the uneducated watch that sort of crap and believe that all us legitimate sportsmen carry on the same way, ie killing things for the sake of it.

At work unable to see it .... have to watch it when I get home.

For the record, I have no problem with elephant hunting. Like any game animal they need some kind of management, elephant hunting has pretty much saved the species as it's given them economic value that doesn't involve poaching, and not an ounce of it is wasted . Don't see the controversy.

Tosser!

Trouble is, the uneducated watch that sort of crap and believe that all us legitimate sportsmen carry on the same way, ie killing things for the sake of it.

For the record, I have no problem with elephant hunting. Like any game animal they need some kind of management, elephant hunting has pretty much saved the species as it's given them economic value that doesn't involve poaching, and not an ounce of it is wasted . Don't see the controversy.

I consider myself a sportsman and i give things a sporting chance. IMO whats the sport in walking up to an elephant and shooting it. It's an ego thing with you yanks. I saw a documentry a few months ago where some fat idol yanks were shooting sedated lions in a bloody pen. IT's people like them that give us true sportsmen a bad name. It makes me sick to the bone.

I just love to be out in the field it's not about the killing with me it's the taking part. It's the stalking of the quarry and putting your whits against there's. I would get no satisfaction at all in shooting an elephant at 30 yards.

I go to scotland stalking roe deer, we often walk 3-4 miles a stalk and approx 60% of stalks end without a shot being fired. This is because the deer are wild and fieldcraft is required to get within range to take the shot. It doesn't bother me wether i get a shot or not, it's just a pleasure to be out there.

Tosser!

I consider myself a sportsman and i give things a sporting chance. IMO whats the sport in walking up to an elephant and shooting it. It's an ego thing with you yanks. I saw a documentry a few months ago where some fat idol yanks were shooting sedated lions in a bloody pen. IT's people like them that give us true sportsmen a bad name. It makes me sick to the bone.

I just love to be out in the field it's not about the killing with me it's the taking part. It's the stalking of the quarry and putting your whits against there's. I would get no satisfaction at all in shooting an elephant at 30 yards.

I go to scotland stalking roe deer, we often walk 3-4 miles a stalk and approx 60% of stalks end without a shot being fired. This is because the deer are wild and fieldcraft is required to get within range to take the shot. It doesn't bother me wether i get a shot or not, it's just a pleasure to be out there.

And to some degree, I agree ...never hunted elephant and if I do it'd be in the same manner as all the other big game I have taken in the past 15 years or so. With a bow.... seeing as how I am aging ( I hate to even say that), it's probably not going to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buyE3sYXU5Y...feature=related

All that aside, let sense rule the day . In countries that have elephant hunting , the elephants are thriving . In countries where they are not sport hunted, the poachers are having their way with them.

Edited by Aaron Proffitt

And to some degree, I agree ...never hunted elephant and if I do it'd be in the same manner as all the other big game I have taken in the past 15 years or so. With a bow.... seeing as how I am aging ( I hate to even say that), it's probably not going to happen.

All that aside, let sense rule the day . In countries that have elephant hunting , the elephants are thriving . In countries where they are not sport hunted, the poachers are having their way with them.

AP I've never shot big game as you have done, Talking with a work colleague from Jo'burg about it and he put a different slant on it to me :hmm: I.E. the elephants are kept and looked after by game wardens in National Parks, when the herd gets too large to support itself (more elephants than food for them) then an old one will be targetted to be culled :thumbs: enter the big game hunter who's willing to pay big bucks for that privilege, the fee he's paid goes back into the National Park to provide protection and management for these trophy species to carry on

Y.I.S Leeview

AP I've never shot big game as you have done, Talking with a work colleague from Jo'burg about it and he put a different slant on it to me :hmm: I.E. the elephants are kept and looked after by game wardens in National Parks, when the herd gets too large to support itself (more elephants than food for them) then an old one will be targetted to be culled :thumbs: enter the big game hunter who's willing to pay big bucks for that privilege, the fee he's paid goes back into the National Park to provide protection and management for these trophy species to carry on

Y.I.S Leeview

To be fair , all the big game I have taken were animals that were plentiful where I was living at the time.

Mule deer and antelope in Wyoming; bear and elk in Colorado and whitetail deer everywhere else.

Whitetail deer are still far and away my favorite. I still get the shakes .:)

Sorry AP when we talk big game its usually refering to African big game and I misunderstood you

Y.I.S Leeview

Sorry about that , Leeview, I should've been more specific.

Probably be a long time , if ever , that I get to Africa . Still far to many places in North America that I have yet to leave a boot print on.