Things you dont know

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I don't know ~ and wonder to this day ~ where / what the Starlings get up to at around this time of year.

Sitting here, looking out my window, I've watched a gathering of up to eighty swallows on the telegraph wires out there. Nothing strange about that. They go to Africa. We all know that. Then they come back and it's summer again.

But what's the craic with the starlings? I've never considered them migratory birds. Yet they do it too. They all form up and sit, in massive flocks, on the wires. What are they up to? Damned if I know.

But what's the craic with the starlings? I've never considered them migratory birds. Yet they do it too. They all form up and sit, in massive flocks, on the wires. What are they up to? Damned if I know.

Have you ever seen them when they do that swarm thing must be hundreds of them....breath taking :o Ive only ever seen it twice in my life, it seems to be a rare thing now.

MOLL.

Have you ever seen them when they do that swarm thing must be hundreds of them....breath taking :o Ive only ever seen it twice in my life, it seems to be a rare thing now.

MOLL.

Amazing sight Moll, saw it once at dusk :guitar: Watched Natural history of Britain at the weekend and it was on that :)

I often wonder about things like.... what do spiders eat in the winter when there are no flys about?

And where do bees go when its raining?

MOLL.

Spiders

Bottom of the page for winter activities, or not as the case may be.

Sat and watched a Stoat this morning, it ran around in a about a 10 foot circle, jumping in the air as it went.

It did this about 5 times, then on its next time around jumped into some long grass and came out hanging onto the back end of a young rabbit.

After a good tussle and much squealing from said rabbit the Stoat managed to kill it. It then spent about 15 minutes dragging the dead rabbit into the bushes.

Then came in and read "Chilligate", think I'll go back out. :no:

Starlings do the flock thing just before roost around us ,thousands of them swarm into a row of evergreens and chatter most of the night .Due to, I think, the closeness of street lights.On some shoots around us they organise a shoot to disuade the birds from roosting in certain woods as they make hell of a mess and supposedly put pheasants off roosting .Saw a sparrow hawk diving into a flock once whilst roost shooting but he drew a blank from what I saw as the flock split in two at every attack .

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I may be wrong, mate; But that looks for all hell like a " Fiery Searcher " type. Do Not f*** with those beetles!

Believe it or not, they can up end themselves ~ do a sort of hand stand ~ and squirt the most Evil smelling and tasting stuff, right into your face! Know how someone good at Karate will target ye nose / top teeth area? These are the kiddies! Get a mouthfull of that and half of it up ye nose, you too will be writing posts like this! :icon_eek:

Starlings do the flock thing just before roost around us ,thousands of them swarm into a row of evergreens and chatter most of the night .Due to, I think, the closeness of street lights.On some shoots around us they organise a shoot to disuade the birds from roosting in certain woods as they make hell of a mess and supposedly put pheasants off roosting .Saw a sparrow hawk diving into a flock once whilst roost shooting but he drew a blank from what I saw as the flock split in two at every attack .

Its not them just flocking together, its the most amazing sight like something from a foreign land, they swarm and dive in perfect harmony, hundreds of them tightly packed together...absolutley breathtaking.

MOLL.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Used to make a point of stopping by to watch all that, at a certain location, just this last couple of years, Moll. I never tried to even guestimate a count on them, but obviously thousands.

As I remember it, it used to go off around the pre xmass sort of period. They'd come into three massive Leyland Cyprus trees, down by the city centre. Funny thing was; Peer as ye might, up into those trees, ye'd be lucky to actually make out more than half a dozen of them once they got in there. Weird.

Still doesn't explain why they do it though ~ or if they ever go anywhere.

Its not them just flocking together, its the most amazing sight like something from a foreign land, they swarm and dive in perfect harmony, hundreds of them tightly packed together...absolutley breathtaking.

MOLL.

When in Australia last year I parked the camper near a park one evening to have a strech and heard the most amazing noise, looking up in the trees above was a group of several hundred fruit bats :icon_eek: Would have loved to have seen them fly off together ;)

I have shot fruitbats at night Simoman,the smell from ripening mangoes attracts them into the garden of my holiday home,used a lamp and a .22 rimmie. B)

Wow, it doesn't conjour up the same image if i say we have woodies in our conifers does it :cry::laugh: