Terrier crosses

Ive seen a fair few terrier breeds crossed with another breed on here and I am at a loss as to why people do it ?Isnt there enough decent blood within each breed to keep them true or am I so blinkered by the blacks that I know of no good reason to outcross to another breed .The only reason I can come up with is laziness on the part of the breeder for not searching out a suitable match within the breed and making do with a mates down the road ? :no:

Possibly because some of those crosses have produced workers that guys were satisfied with. I like a jagd-balck dog cross very much have seen some very good workers, I don't care how it is bred just so it gets the job done

So would you breed these offspring again or go back to the original ,just curious .

Guest Side by Side

personally i think it what the owner wants them for... and what the owner works.. its every one to their own...

like i now some lads who have paterdale crosses and they have crossed them to cool the paterdale down a bit....

happy hunting

SBS

The horse should always go before the cart.

Breeds were invented long after working dogs were, and they matter not a whit as far as I can tell.

For certain the critter in the hole does not care what breed a dog is -- only whether it can be reached (small is beautiful) and what will happen when it gets there (brains and drive in proper and shifting amounts).

The whole notion of a pure breed is really a bit of a joke. What is it supposed to mean? It does not mean the dog is healthy, it does not mean that it works, and it does not even mean the dog looks right.

Here's a question. If I tell you the breed of a terrier, can you tell me anything useful about the dog as it relates to size, temperament, brains, etc.? Now, if I tell you that the dog works well underground in natural earths, and does so week after week, week in and week out, what can you tell me about the shape of the dog and its demeanor? You see, work alone is descriptive; breed tell you almost nothing.

Patrick

I don't think it's about "breeds" as such, not in the KC meaning of the word anyway. I think there are types of terrier about which display certain characteristics, which, maybe not in every instance, define a breed, and I'm using the word "breed" in a very loose, informal way here. When people talk of russells we tend to think of a type with certain characteristics, and there will always be exceptions of course, but on the whole people think of jacks and transmit certain working styles on to them. Same with blacks (or whatever you want to call them), borders etc etc.

What I think Foxdropper is saying is that if a person has a good example of a black dog that's worth being bred off, why would you go to another type or "breed" when the reason you are breeding it is for the traits inherent in the dog you own in the first place? Fair enough if there's a russell (for arguments sake) that has similar traits to your black, but I don't think that would be very representative of the type, in my opinion.

There's the argument of breeding a good dog to a good dog, and that has it's merits, but if you want to load the dice in your favour when breeding, surely you'd go to another dog of the same stamp, from generations of dogs who are representative of the dogs you so admire in the first place?

Forgive me if I got the wrong end of the stick Foxdropper.

Having said that, I've had some right mongrels in my time and I've never had a good one yet.....Hang on.... :D

i Think people can see that there are two different type of thought here one likes the idea of a breed type e.g Border lakey russel other dont care as long as they work . If a survey was done on terriers owned by people on the site i think you would see more cross breeds than the breed type dogs . Most terrier men i know use cross breeds they see a good terrier and want to breed from it does not matter what "breed" it is Just My Opinion

Patrick-I know what your saying mate but my argument is as Stabs said ,why go outside the gene pool to further dilute a strain of working terrier when there are cracking examples within each type .Its just a matter of putting the feelers out to find it .Personally I would not buy or except a cross breed as Im a bit of a purist when looking for a suitable outcross within the breed I work .I say this at the risk of being slammed as I know the blacks have from time to time ,had additions to the make up .There are no reasons I can think of at all for not striving to better the breed you keep by breeding to another, better, dog of the same breed .When bringing in blood from another breed ,how many of you know the ancestry or even care to find out .Breeding from 2 workers is a tried and tested way to produce working offspring but there could be defects down the line but then again ,I dont suppose many are worried about that as you will start with another terrier and not perpetuate the sin . :11: ."Whatever else you do in life ,try to leave behind a better terier than when you started "Frank Reeves-1907-1981.A chap who had my utmost respect .

The horse should always go before the cart.

Breeds were invented long after working dogs were, and they matter not a whit as far as I can tell.

For certain the critter in the hole does not care what breed a dog is -- only whether it can be reached (small is beautiful) and what will happen when it gets there (brains and drive in proper and shifting amounts).

The whole notion of a pure breed is really a bit of a joke. What is it supposed to mean? It does not mean the dog is healthy, it does not mean that it works, and it does not even mean the dog looks right.

Here's a question. If I tell you the breed of a terrier, can you tell me anything useful about the dog as it relates to size, temperament, brains, etc.? Now, if I tell you that the dog works well underground in natural earths, and does so week after week, week in and week out, what can you tell me about the shape of the dog and its demeanor? You see, work alone is descriptive; breed tell you almost nothing.

Patrick-

So if I said I work black terriers, do you want one.You couldnt say in general ,the way they work or what to expect ?.

For me the border in my dogs gave a more level headed calmer dog, easier to live indoors with the rest of them. I suppose if i had the money and wanted to promote breeders a pure border would have done. But i dont.

I like the spice from the lakeland or patt etc and the trainability of the border.

Not saying all Borders are calm and have no spice and all lakies are etc etc etc Before i upset anyone :blink:

MOLL.