Bizzare buzzards

Ive never seen anything like it in my life. Just had the dogs out the front in the farmyard for 'hurry ups' when i heard the familiar buzzard noise, looked up and there were 40-50 buzzards all together :o

It was too difficult to count as they were constantly moving, but i counted 20 and there was at least double that again. I ran back into the house to phone Steve (he loves buzzards) to find out if this was as unusual as i thought, went back out with the camera to try to get 40-50 black dots on a piccie and they had all vanished :icon_eek:

Is this unusual or the norm and ive just not seen it before?

MOLL.

Common Buzzards prey mainly on small rodents & mammals, though they will take reptiles, amphibians, large insects, invertebrates & young birds. They will also feed on carrion, often leading to them being accused of killing such things as new born lambs. Their preferred method of finding prey is 'still hunting', sitting on a post, looking for food. Buzzards will use also wind-hovering due find their prey & are comfortable searching for beetles & earthworms by walking around on the ground. The colloquial name "Dancing Hawk" stems from their habit of landing in open fields (often freshly worked) & dancing up & down - the noise made sounds like rain to worms & makes them rise to the surface then they get eaten by the buzzards. It is not unusual for groups of buzzards to do this at the same time in a single field, there have been reports of up to 40 buzzards in a single field.

Not quite the same thing I grant you, but maybe connected

http://www.raptorfoundation.org.uk/commonbuzzard.html

JohnB you are a genious, it was above a feshly worked field :clapper: Perhaps they had been on the ground then been spooked back into the air, i only watched them for about 20 seconds, wish i had stayed longer to see where they went?

MOLL.

Ricky-N.p.p.....Im starting to worry Tetleys are putting something in their T-bags :D

MOLL.

I'm not doubting what you saw Moll but its pretty strange are you sure there weren't a few buzzards calling because they were mixed up in a mob of crows it seems more likely

Def not, because obviously thats exactly what i thought at 1st, i even thought, seagulls :blink: But each individual bird i looked at was definately a buzzard, im not saying i looked at all 40 mind, and then i remembered we dont have crows or seagulls here :rolleyes:

What JohnB said ties in, the dogs hurtling out of the house, growling and barking to a place right next to the said field, it was probs my lots who disturbed them. I then arrive a few seconds later see all these birds. Had i stayed longer, and ive kicked myself because i didnt, i probs would have either seen them disperse or land again?

MOLL.

Thank fook for that, was starting to get a bit worried :hunter:

We had noticed 5 together last weekend and thought that was strange, never mind 40 :o

Another thing i noticed apart from 3 crys they were totally silent.

MOLL.

i recall a "Countryfile" programme that featured a fella in wales who fed the Buzzards and there would often be over a dozen swooping into his back garden, so i reckon if they will put up with each other to take food from him they will do so if there is food somewhere else, fresh cut field/carrion etc.. just a thought

Its normal behaviour for buzards, they start going south (some) for the winter, and they troup togheter for who nows why.. most of the time all are the youngsters of this year.

there's a name for this behaviour, but can't remember that anymore :icon_redface: