.22 WMR or .17 HMR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mate .ive just being getting a cz 452 style .17hmr.great for longer range shoots but need to be head shoots if there for the dealer or the pot.ive also had a few cub,s with it so its a handy rifle.i pay £11.50 per box of remmies of 50.so not to bad for rounds.when i sent my variation off for the .17hmr i said it was for longer range pest and vermin control.when it came back it has fox on also on my fac.so proves it a capable calibre.

rifle set up was

cz 452 style synthetic stock/nickel barrel £400

sak mod £35

bsa sweet 17 scopes £95

go for it mate and buy the .17hmr.also folk say the wind spoils there use of the 17.i use it in the wind and its fine for rabbits unless its blowing a gale.

if you want fox as well, then 22 magnum. If not, then HMR.

irrespective of what's on FACs, do NOT consider the HMR a mainstream fox rifle. It's not. It's a rabbit gun, simple as. Yes you can shoot foxes with it, but not humanely at ranges much in excess of the 22LR.

I've got a WMR, mainly for rabbits (headshots unless you don't want the body). Hit them and they're dead... I also plan on taking a fox if the need arrises. I'm paying £17 per hundred for Winchester super-X (40 grain) so looks a bit cheaper than HMR. I've just ordered some CCI Vmax +V 30 grains though - they say these are generally more accurite and pack the biggest WMR punch.

Also consider if you can get some 22WRF or Winchester WMR Dynapoints these have the power of 22LR so can in effect giving the a very versatile gun. High power for long range rabbits or foxes and low power for mid/short range rabbits without big meat damage. I'm working on a source for those low power rounds at the moment...

Edited by harrygrey382

I would echo what the Logical one said :)

The .17 HMR is a great little round,one which grows on me more and more but for long range sunny evening rabbit/crow shooting. I have owned a few .22WMR's and found the calibre to be great (I've shot but not owned a .17HMR).

If I were to have to choose one from the above, it would be the .22WMR because it's beats the .17HMR in power and in wind tolerance, the rounds may not look as pretty tho :)

However, if I were to go down the route of getting a small calibre rifle, then I would skip both and go for a .22 Hornet which seems to be growing in popularity these days and rightly so, it's a cracking long range rabbit / crow tool and very good for short range fox with the option of reloading spent cases.

John

I've got a WMR, mainly for rabbits (headshots unless you don't want the body). Hit them and they're dead... I also plan on taking a fox if the need arrises. I'm paying £17 per hundred for Winchester super-X (40 grain) so looks a bit cheaper than HMR. I've just ordered some CCI Vmax +V 30 grains though - they say these are generally more accurite and pack the biggest WMR punch.

Also consider if you can get some 22WRF or Winchester WMR Dynapoints these have the power of 22LR so can in effect giving the a very versatile gun. High power for long range rabbits or foxes and low power for mid/short range rabbits without big meat damage. I'm working on a source for those low power rounds at the moment...

I've been after the CCI 30g V-Max WMR (CCI 0073) for over a year and GMK confirmed a few months back they have eventually got some on order.

All the spec suggests they are a cracking round...I would be very interested to hear what you think when you get some...where you got them from ...and how much they cost.............Can't help thinking they will be a lot more than £17. :thumbs:

In general the HMR will probably be a good addition to the .22lr.

I have .22lr, 17HMR and .22WMR and have a use for them all....I don't have any use for the .17 Mach 2. ALL 3 are specifically listed for FOX on my FAC and the HMR with 17g is the worst of the lot for fox.....yes...worse than the .22lr in my book.

The HMR is good on bunnies and potentially very accurate, but despite what many will say, and all the charts suggest it really does not like gusty sidewinds!

BUT..if you are after longer bunnies and crows then the HMR is the one to consider.

I've been after the CCI 30g V-Max WMR (CCI 0073) for over a year and GMK confirmed a few months back they have eventually got some on order.

All the spec suggests they are a cracking round...I would be very interested to hear what you think when you get some...where you got them from ...and how much they cost.............Can't help thinking they will be a lot more than £17. :thumbs:

I'll let you know when I get them. Over the phone that dealer said £21/100 IIRC. Will have to wait now though due to a misundstanding with the cops - the FO said I could have a magnum, but when my ticket came it only had 22RF. When I went to pick the magnum up the dealer said I know this is technically 22RF, but it should say 22WMR. I said call the FO, he said I believe you. So now when they get my bill of sale they say my ticket needs altering... Basically I need to wait for the ammended version to get back so I can pick the ammo up!

I'll let you know when I get them. Over the phone that dealer said £21/100 IIRC. Will have to wait now though due to a misundstanding with the cops - the FO said I could have a magnum, but when my ticket came it only had 22RF. When I went to pick the magnum up the dealer said I know this is technically 22RF, but it should say 22WMR. I said call the FO, he said I believe you. So now when they get my bill of sale they say my ticket needs altering... Basically I need to wait for the ammended version to get back so I can pick the ammo up!

thats shoddy work by your constabulary

thats shoddy work by your constabulary

Probably is shoddy, but saying .22RF rather than .22lr or .22WMR would indicate either/or, as BOTH are .22RF.

Best to be specific, my FAC lists .22WMR and .22lr (and .17 HMR) but in the conditions there is a lot of general talk about RF ..meaning ALL 3 of them!

£21 doesn't sound too bad to me if these are CCI 0073.

ATB

Probably is shoddy, but saying .22RF rather than .22lr or .22WMR would indicate either/or, as BOTH are .22RF.

Best to be specific, my FAC lists .22WMR and .22lr (and .17 HMR) but in the conditions there is a lot of general talk about RF ..meaning ALL 3 of them!

ATB

Yeah that's what I though - they're all rimfire. But on the phone they said 22RF means 22LR in their eyes. All ok though got the paper back today and it says WMR.

Yep they're the cci 0073 - not in yet I called today. He said they should've been in ages ago and doesn't know why they're taking so long. I'll keep pestering... Not like the rabbits keep going after a super-x hits them, but...

ATB

Yeah that's what I though - they're all rimfire. But on the phone they said 22RF means 22LR in their eyes. All ok though got the paper back today and it says WMR.

Yep they're the cci 0073 - not in yet I called today. He said they should've been in ages ago and doesn't know why they're taking so long. I'll keep pestering... Not like the rabbits keep going after a super-x hits them, but...

Doesn't surprise me at at we are still waiting for the ammo...GMK are involved and I have NEVER known GMK to be honest over delivery dates! But..as soon as I saw the spec of this ammo a year or two back I was impressed, ...fast and flat for a WMR and carries it's energy very well..and a V-Max tip...got to be worth a try!

Edited by Deker

On my fac, i've got a .22lr and .22wmr,both listed as 22R/F.when I questioned my feo he said that R/F covers ALL rimfire rifles,whether it's .22lr, .22wmr, of .17 hmr.

I use my .22lr for short range rabbits on my permission,and the .22wmr is used when I visit some of my permissions where it's difficult to get close, I also have a.22Hornet,in my opinion the best rifle that I own and use,covers the shooting of rabbits AND foxes.

Alan

Doesn't surprise me at at we are still waiting for the ammo...GMK are involved and I have NEVER known GMK to be honest over delivery dates! But..as soon as I saw the spec of this ammo a year or two back I was impressed, ...fast and flat for a WMR and carries it's energy very well..and a V-Max tip...got to be worth a try!

Yeah this is what I hear. Thing is this dealer said they should be in real quick, wouldn't have thought he'd lead me on... Hope not anyway. Will keep pestering him

On my fac, i've got a .22lr and .22wmr,both listed as 22R/F.when I questioned my feo he said that R/F covers ALL rimfire rifles,whether it's .22lr, .22wmr, of .17 hmr.

I use my .22lr for short range rabbits on my permission,and the .22wmr is used when I visit some of my permissions where it's difficult to get close, I also have a.22Hornet,in my opinion the best rifle that I own and use,covers the shooting of rabbits AND foxes.

Alan

That's what I thought/ reckon it should be. But they said for them 22RF means LR, even though they're all rim fire. I'd like a hornet, but I notice on guntrader they're not common, and very expensive. Don't have a centrefire on my permission, but plan on asking one of the many local farmers. Does anyone know of a farmer in norfolk wanting some vermin control?