ill

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Distemper would be the last thing on my mind, frankly, mate. But then, just about everything that kills ferrets tends to show in the rear end first of all.

Usual proceedure: Isolate them all from eachother and try to think back to anything which may have occasioned it. Think foods.

But, see Maty's thread; They say there's 'something going round'. And what do the vet's say? " We'll have to put her on a drip ..... " So they do. And she still dies. And they still drive flash motors :angry:

Isolate them and brace yeself, mate. Sorry. I don't think there's much else anyone can do or say, is there? :(

Posterior paralysis can be caused by a number of things such as calcium deficiency, bad diet, spinal trauma and spinal cancer. The symptoms of distemper is a thickening of the pads on the feet, the sh@ts, a great thirst and a rash , usually under the chin. Above all you should be getting it to the vets to make a professional diagnosis because certain ailments can be highly contagious and wipe out all your ferrets.......... On that note there seems to be too many people asking advice rather than just getting their animals to the vets thus shortening any suffering they may be going through!!!!

I would check that you're vet is "ferret freindly" before you go handing over hard earned cash.

theres too many vets out there who will take the ferret in at a cost to yourself and they dont have a clue ! :realmad:

like ditch shitter says get it away from the other ferrets and make sure you wash you're hands before and after handiling her.

good luck mate, hope she pulls through !

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:( Gutted for ye, mate. But, in my experiance, that's the way it is with ferrets. Fit as f*** or back legs giving out and crashing. So seldom any apparrant rhyme or reason to it either.

Best of luck, mate; With the others.

Yeah Fingers crossed for the rest of them !

theres a albino hob goin on this site for free to a working home if you're short mate.

might be a bit soon for you though !

make sure the rest are ok first .

good luck mate

dont know if this is relevant but theres another guy with a ill ferret on this site and he too is from wales ?

could be something or nothing ?

One of my jills is not the best at the moment ither. :( Im a bit gutted, as not many vets round here that are good with ferrets. :no:

The vet said it was something to do with her eating complete ferret food. :blink:

She has a bald patch on her shoulders, between the shoulder blades and a couple of small dry looking patches too. She has lost weight, but is eating. She was not sratching, but is now, mange was ruled out. Checked her ears, as she was sracthing them a bit, but they seem fine.

Dont know whats going on. :wacko:

I have isolated her aswell.

Sorry to hear about yours Cramp. :cry:

Frank.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Sorry, mate ~ been tied up .....

Thornit is a product that's been around almost as long as dirt. Credited as the 'invention' of some lady, she now seems to have sold out the receipe rights to others. It's best known for it's treatment of Ear Mites. But, as part of the brief and simple treatment programme, we're encouraged to put a bit on the (Dogs) feet too. Obviously; Dog gets ear mites and it ~ believe me it does! ~ scratches inside it's own ears. That, of course, transfers mites to its feet and thus it reinfects itself.

Anyway, two key, operative words here are as one: Mites / Thornit. It sounds like your ferret may well have an undiagnosed Mite infestation. Did the vet take skin scrapings? Either way, it's cheap as chips and available off Google, probably as fast as we could get past the cloak and dagger nonsense of me getting a pinch of my own stock to you.

If you're awake still and reading this, for under a tenner a bottle; Get some! Had my bit for years now and it stays good. Had it for years because it takes so little and works so damn fast! Rub a light dusting on that jill for a few days and see.

Need I say more?

Thanks very much DS :good:

The vet, did not take a skin scraping at all. :blink:

He just blamed it on the deit.

Ill get a bottle of that stuff and see what happens. She is slightly better today, but still scratches.

The thing is, her ears seem clean?

Frank.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

When my Dog's had them, mate, I've peered into his ears and considered them clean myself. Maybe it's one of these things we'd sometimes need an Endoscope to observe?

Anyway, looking back, you'd do damn well to take that vet's advice anyway, if ye feeding her that sh*t. I don't for a minute suspect that's linked to this particular condition. But I'm absolutley posative that she's not likley to make her full allocation on it.

In this weather, I just fed them their carcasses later at night.

Anyway, best of luck all round and let us know how it pans out :good:

Guest jdh488

Having just read some articles on Prolapsed discs in humans, i saw that this is also a problem that can be experienced by Ferrets, now if the pain is as bad for a ferret as it is for a human then i could see that the symptoms could resemble that of distemper. It could be possible that the ferret had taken a knock or a fall, cos if its anything like my three who seem to think that they are some kind of stunt animals then it is possible that it could have taken a fall or a bit of a kickin of a rabbit if the ferrets are working at the moment.

Sorry to here that the poor little critter had to be put to sleep though, its never nice to have to make that decision even for the right reasons.

Dave