Divers bottles

Hoping that someone might be able to telling what the law is with regards to refilling divers bottles and being in test.

I dug out my Rapid 7 today, not used it in two years and went to the garage to get my divers bottle to refill the buddy bottle. The buddy bottle only filled to 1bar, so I thought I'd better go and get the 12l bottle refilled. Okay, when to the shop I purchased it from, the guy said 'Oh, that bottle is out of test'. Now the bottle is only about two years old, never been filled and has a test sticker saying that it should have been tested in April of this year. I explained that it was for an airgun and NOT for diving and I was under the impression that due to this the bottle was still okay to fill.

The shop owner gave a load of cobblers saying that the Ministry of transport had clamped down on this and that he would either test the bottle or buy it back off me on the cheap.

I took the bottle to another shop, they refilled it and said it still had ten years left? £1.50 less as well :)

John

Ok If the cylinder is designated and stamped for surface use only, then the Hydro test intervals are 5 Years the same applies to Industrial gas cylinders. Those are the ones with this ugly looking big thread on the neck. I like to call them the heavy feckers. An unmarked diving cylinder ( Not stamped for surface use only ) will have to go for a hydro test every 2 years. The next test date is stamped on the cylinder and usually they put a sticker on it as well that will come off after 5 dives, so the may as well stick that one to the door mat of the test centre.

HTH

Michael

surface use only, then the Hydro test intervals are 5 Years / An unmarked diving cylinder ( Not stamped for surface use only ) will have to go for a hydro test every 2 years.

Thanks for all the help guys!

The one I have is definitely an unmarked diving cylinder, so I was lucky that the second shop filled it for me.

I don't use the Rapid 7, so this fill will last me for the next five years :)

John

I have 6 12 ltr 232 bar cylinders in the garage and use them for filling. When they are down to 180 bar I take them for a dive before getting them filled. I must be a tight git not to waste air :)

ATB

Michael

I have 6 12 ltr 232 bar cylinders in the garage and use them for filling. When they are down to 180 bar I take them for a dive before getting them filled. I must be a tight git not to waste air :)

ATB

Michael

just wondering how long will 180 bar last you on a dive

it sounds like some dealers are ripping people off :angry:

I must be honest and say I did feel that the first shop I took the bottle too was trying to rip me off, especially when he wanted to buy the bottle after telling me it was out of test and would need to be left with him so he could get a test done.

Anyone know how much a test cost?

John

ATB

Michael

just wondering how long will 180 bar last you on a dive

That depends on how deep you are and what you are doing on the dive. Anything from 30 to 100 minutes with a 12 litre cylinder.

ATB

Michael

Perhaps another topic for the pinned section, how long does a bottle last? How often does it need testing? And the testing procedures, because it sounds like some dealers are ripping people off :angry:

I have done one of those posts some time back. If you think i should add anything, I am open to suggestions.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...&hl=Filling

ATB

Michael

On the how long does a bottle last, I meant life time wise, and the periods between testing and how to idetifiy tested bottles, and the stamps and labels, most folk will buy their bottles second hand, its ok for those in the know, or those with good honest dealers, but the others seem to be at the mercy of the unsrucupulus.