Ferreting Dog

Hoping to get a lurcher in the near future for ferreting. I know everyone seems to like bedlington whippets but was just wondering what they are like for training as this will be my first dog or would a collie whippet cross be more suitable? Dog needs to be small which is the reason for whippet crosses.

I have beddy/whippet x colie/ grey under 22 they great for rabbiting and easy to enter ,buy only of working stack to ensure you have got it in them and that will ease the need to try and make a race horse from a donky as they say

Cheers

Hoping to get a lurcher in the near future for ferreting. I know everyone seems to like bedlington whippets but was just wondering what they are like for training as this will be my first dog or would a collie whippet cross be more suitable? Dog needs to be small which is the reason for whippet crosses.
How small does it need to be? atb dell

This is a question that is frequently gets asked, when really i think you should be asking yourself what type/breeding of dog would suit Your personality,

I.E. terrier types are normally more forgiving, and your collie types are more sensitive, i know that individual dogs personalities will differ but as a general rule of thumb perhaps this is something you should consider, as for size, yes the smaller whippet types should be better as they are quick of the mark...

Good luck with whatever you choose, will it be a pup you`ll be getting to start Next season..???

Yis Mars...

By the photo pal dont look like you need a hand from a dog haha :tongue2: Ur ferrets must be keen workers by the looks of it! Atb finding a dog! :victory:

FM

Ferreting men do like the bedlington/whippets but any lurcher can be a ferreting dog i have a 6 month old 3/4whippet1/4collie bitch i been taking ferreting and coming on well im taking my time with her i also have a greyhound bitch that good at ferreting

Thanks for all the replies, would probably prefer the terrier base but was just unsure how hard they would be to train. Yeah i do generally get good numbers on the permission i have but like the idea of having a dog working along side me. The only reason i need a small dog is because on the permission i have iv been told that they dont like "big" dogs but a terrier would be ok but was realy wanting a running dog. Therefor with a small lurcher i thought i would have more chance and something around 20" or at least under 22" would be my choice.

And yes it would be a pup im after for next season, waiting for permission off the landlord before i can get one tho. Hope they have no problems with it.

i've said this before but lurchers are about the parents working ability, the owner of the dam -pups first human interaction, bloodlines, your training method and a large amount of luck thrown in!!

a cross which works fine for one may be useless with somebody else, its the luck of the draw . .

visit a lot of litters go on vibes ye get from the owners of the dogs bred from, meet as many relatives to the pups that you can, hear about the way the parents work, and then meet the pups and let your heart choose,,

the cross isn't the key its the dogitself, if you want a small dog clearly don't go looking at deerhound crosses! what do you class as small . . size tts . . and why a cross? nothing wrong with a pure whippet for ferreting!

all the best mate Annemarie xx

Main reason for wanting a cross is that iv heard whippets suffer from the weather and its often cold and windy on my permisson as its on quite high ground. As for size i would like something around 20" tts or at least under 22". Was thinking of 3/4 whippet with ether 1/4 bedlington or collie or something like that.

Also, do short haired lurchers suffer when the weather is bad?