Any LAND ROVER People on here?

Get a can of diesel and take a pipe from that direct to your fuel filter under the bonnet ,or direct to your injector pump ..If she fires up ok then you know the fault is fuel delivery..Myself I think the problem is elsewhere..It wouldnt knock through lack of diesel but would if there was too much.Like if it turns over for a good while before firing up it will knock ..Does it smoke when running??

Only when driving (Not when stood idling).

Get a can of diesel and take a pipe from that direct to your fuel filter under the bonnet ,or direct to your injector pump ..If she fires up ok then you know the fault is fuel delivery..Myself I think the problem is elsewhere..It wouldnt knock through lack of diesel but would if there was too much.Like if it turns over for a good while before firing up it will knock ..Does it smoke when running??

maybe its not the fuel system but you need to eliminate things and the fuel is a easy place to start before you right the engine off when it does smoke what colour is it over fueling will be black,lack of fuel will cause a knock because if for instance a injector is not working theres no fuel in the cylinder and your valves are still opening and closing thats where you get the knock.The perkins are ok but they need to have a turbo on them otherwise they are slow and noisey most of them came out of fork trucks

maybe its not the fuel system but you need to eliminate things and the fuel is a easy place to start before you right the engine off when it does smoke what colour is it over fueling will be black,lack of fuel will cause a knock because if for instance a injector is not working theres no fuel in the cylinder and your valves are still opening and closing thats where you get the knock.The perkins are ok but they need to have a turbo on them otherwise they are slow and noisey most of them came out of fork trucks

Thats what I thought about the perkins so i'll leave that thought alone.

There is White smoke very slightly blue, but VERY slightly.

white smoke sounds like water check for head gasket signs oil in water ,water in oil,water system getting pressuriesd staight away even when cold!

Water fine, oil fine. Gets to normal temperature and stays there. I think i'm going with the Big end nacker'd idea? I've been in touch with the guy i bought it from and he's told me that the Engine is infact the Later 2.5td not the 2.4 it was advertised as!!

I had a beautiful rangie with a VM engine.

It started playing up almost straight away, and we had the head skimmed and a new gasket. When that failed to work, we realised the block was cracked.

I had a chat with my cousin who works for LR (I'm a mechanical dummy) who told me the VM was the worst engine they ever used.

The saddest thing is that I was so disillusioned by then, I just sold the whole thing for peanuts. Wish I'd kept it and had a 200Tdi fitted - had 90's with 200Tdi, 300Tdi and TD5's, and the 200Tdi was by far the best.

I had a beautiful rangie with a VM engine.

It started playing up almost straight away, and we had the head skimmed and a new gasket. When that failed to work, we realised the block was cracked.

I had a chat with my cousin who works for LR (I'm a mechanical dummy) who told me the VM was the worst engine they ever used.

The saddest thing is that I was so disillusioned by then, I just sold the whole thing for peanuts. Wish I'd kept it and had a 200Tdi fitted - had 90's with 200Tdi, 300Tdi and TD5's, and the 200Tdi was by far the best.

I'm going to put a another VM in for the time been and Next summer I'd think they will be a 200TDI or 300TDI going in. A friend has an L reg RR with the 300tdi and auto box which is very nice to drive and shifts for a big motor. I'd like to go with a Auto what ever engine I put in but couldn't do with the hassle of the Auto breaking down!

What are the Perkins Diesels like? I've been offerd a RR with a good one in.

It depends entirely which Perkins engine it is and what you intend to use it for. The Perkins engines transplanted into R.R.s are usually the larger, slow revving agricultrial ones. That said they are sturdy and reliable requiring little more than normal routine maintenance.

A neighbour of mine who rears and sells beef cattle has a 4 cylinder Perkins that is around 4 litre. His maximum speed is around 50 as it is such a slow revving thing, but then all he does is tow his livestock trailer with it. If he needs to get anywhere more quickly he tends to borrow my 4.2 V8 Range Rover!!!! Regards. J.H.S.

sounds like either an injector is siezed or your pump timing has slipped which would give you the same symptoms ... timing belt slipped a tooth or if you have an adjustable pump it may have slipped it only needs to move a fraction ......... just a guess if your water side is ok ... if the pump timing is out it will give you white smoke and lots of it when under load ... :thumbs: