Is It Alright To Use Potatoe As A Daily Mixer With Meat And Fish

The best diet for any dog is raw meat and bones.

Why anyone wants to give their dogs processed crap whether dry or wet is beyond me.

I have two dog that can Not eat raw, one pukes it back up

and my lurcher bitch who used to be fed raw, now if shes given any type of raw food,

she shits blood, she also started refusing the raw, and would nick the dry food off one of my other dogs,

she simply refuses raw now - unless its cooked.

oh i forgot one of my others cant have raw either, or it could verry well kill her,

she has to have a very low fat diet, due to her pancrias (sp) not being able to prosses fat.

So in respect raw does not suite every dog or owner for that matter

all my dogs do verry well on the dryed food i give them.

Swamp rat - sweet potatos are different to white, and anyway if cooked the starch is cooked out of them.

Chook, think you are living in "never never land".

If one pukes it back up it is wolfing it down, probably doesn't know how to use its teeth, won't harm it to eat what it has puked. Next time feed bigger pieces of meat/bone.

If a dog is shitting blood it will shit blood because the dog has a problem NOT down to the food.

Be interested to know what you actually feed the dog with the pancreatic problem.

Most dogs "health" problems tend to get a lot better when fed raw as a lot of problems are due to the crap diet that they are fed.

By the way, when I say raw I am not referring to mince.

Actualy no he isnt wolfing it down - hes never eaten his food fast,

i should know i stay in the room whilst there eating.

Dogs are no different to humans, in that if we cant stomach something we can and will puke it back up,

dogs will do the same, if my dogs have puked up there food - i always let them eat it again, dosent bother me, but when you have a dog that pukes up its food and walks away time and time again, then its time to stop useing that food, wether its raw or dried,

And yes she does crap blood, it started to set her Colitis off, i spent a month trying different raw foods,

and i dont mean mince either, rabbit. pidgon (sp) tripe, chicken, turcky, carcasses, wings necks, fish - sorry actualy she wont eat raw fish, it makes her puke, with in two days of being back on the dry food, she was fine, if it hadnt of kicked off her colitis or she hadnt of started refusing it,

then she would still be on the raw

and before you say i probably dont know what i am doing, i was feeding raw to the dogs i had over 20 years ago,

before all this hype about it, them days you could get most raw food free or at least cheaper than you can now.

The only foods our bonnie can have is chappie, the vet perscription one, chicken without the skin or fat or fish,

i choose to put her on chappie, i wont risk her health messing about trying foods with her,

she was ill enough as it was - when it kicked off and we was lucky she survived at all.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried meat only and it makes her worse, pasta along with any other cerial is bad.

On raw chicken and rice she is about 80%

Any red meat and she overheats and itches all over.

I will give her fish and veg for a month, see how she goes, then try giver her other stuff and she how she reacts.

Got some mixed veg tablets from Dorwest Herbs and that has helped, along with garlic in her food.

Chook,

If it was good enough 20 years ago what made you change?

Take a look at http://rawfed.com/myths/rebuttal5.html#pancreas

Because the places we used to get the raw food from - one shut and the other moved,

we used to get 50lb of meat for a fiver and 50lb of chicken wings for a fiver

theres not a lot of places local to get raw food from, except turcky and chicken carcasses - it has to be dilivered,

not to mention feeding 10 dogs it gets a tad expencive, i pay a little over £40 quid a month to feed my lot,

if i fed them all raw it would be double that.

The food i feed them now is produced local, all my dogs are healthy (well except for our bonnie of course)

and by the way, the cause of her problems were turcky meat, all are full of life even my oldys at 13 still bounce round, all have energy

they dont shit for britain - so why change - they eat the food, i never need to add anything in to it to tempt them

to eat it.

Chook,

Because the places we used to get the raw food from - one shut and the other moved,

theres not a lot of places local to get raw food from, except turcky and chicken carcasses - it has to be dilivered,

not to mention feeding 10 dogs it gets a tad expencive, i pay a little over £40 quid a month to feed my lot,

The food i feed them now is produced local, all my dogs are healthy (well except for our bonnie of course)

and by the way, the cause of her problems were turcky meat, all are full of life even my oldys at 13 still bounce round, all have energy

they dont shit for britain - so why change - they eat the food, i never need to add anything in to it to tempt them

to eat it.

So what are you actually feeding them?

Chook,

to eat it.

Dry food lol, there is no brand name for it, just adult dog food,

most have been on it for what going on 10 years now,

except for raw carcasses/bones and wings every now and then,

there doing fine on it.

Chook,

to eat it.

Dry food lol, there is no brand name for it, just adult dog food,

most have been on it for what going on 10 years now,

except for raw carcasses/bones and wings every now and then,

there doing fine on it.

Dread to think what is actually in it.

Chappies "ingredients" are bad enough.

I wanted to feed raw for ages until i seen several dogs in the vets getting splinters removed from various places internally and that put me off slightly.I cant get decent prices for raw here either so mine get burns as one of mine was having some funny turns and ending up at the vets on a drip so changed to burns and did a few other things like raised feeders etc to see if it helps and it has.Raw doesnt suit every dog and there as many arguements and research against it as for it.A vet at my practice done a course about it and said herself when i asked her as a lurcher owner herself what she thought and she said she was 50/50 she gives her dogs half dry half raw.Says they do well like this mine are thriving like hell on burns so its choice at the end of the day.Mine would no doubt really enjoy raw food but up here its too expensive and most of it is classed as not fit for human consumption which i find a bit dodgy and wouldnt like to give my dog something which isnt fit.Potatos do a dgo no harm and they get energy from them and pasta as well as veggies and fruit for vitamins.Chappies a whole other story i hate the stuff

Back to the subject spuds, I've always steered clear but in reality there is nothing wrong with them, I still wouldn't give over much but as an addition to fish then it's worth a trial. Starch is a name for carbs and as such is found in all plant/grain based feed, it is a laymans term for carbohydrate which is a complex suger. Dogs break these complex carbs into simple ones, glucose, to be used as fuel. Fish is good stuff but may well be low in fat if not feeding whole or oily fish. I used to get waste stuff from a fish and chip shop for next to nothing so might be worth a try, it was mainly cod back bones in a strip of meat from filleting though I expect they arrive already done these days. I used this with a complete as the main ingredients for racing dogs and they seemed to do well on it. At the end of the day it's what suits your dog rather than someone elses hippy trippy idea of whats "natural" .

Good luck s

Only time I have seen problems with bones is when the bone had been cooked or dogs had been fed small pieces such as chicken wings.

Bones should be uncooked and large (although NOT large weight bearing bones) chicken wings are fine when attached to the carcase.

At the end of the day it's what suits your dog rather than someone elses hippy trippy idea of whats "natural" .

Think that most people forget where a dog comes from and what they thrive on in the natural world.

Would you feed your kids mcdonalds or cornflakes every day?

Only time I have seen problems with bones is when the bone had been cooked or dogs had been fed small pieces such as chicken wings.

Bones should be uncooked and large (although NOT large weight bearing bones) chicken wings are fine when attached to the carcase.

At the end of the day it's what suits your dog rather than someone elses hippy trippy idea of whats "natural" .

Think that most people forget where a dog comes from and what they thrive on in the natural world.

Would you feed your kids mcdonalds or cornflakes every day?

No but I wouldn't feed them raw meat, roots and berries though thats where we came from. Man and dogs are living longer healthier lives in part due to improved diets, though obesity may change that in a few years, and to throw out the concept of a balenced diet based on best science rather than availability or hippy trippy ideas of "natural" is a best silly and at worst harmful .

Dogs and man did so well together due to similer dietry needs/abilities.

You wouldn't feed your kids that because you know it is not good for them, but the dog equivalent

balenced diet based on best science
you are quite happy to feed to your dogs.
which is based on what - whatever the pertfood companies want to sell you.

Its not only the food that goes inside, its also the effect on the dogs teeth.

A lot of dog health problems stem from bad oral hygiene which is due to the

, its also the effect on the dogs teeth.

Actualy your wrong there, what affects dogs teeth is when people give dogs mainly soft food only,

eg, they soak the kibble to much,

if you only ever fed raw meat, then your dogs would have bad teeth,

what helps dogs teeth is crunching anything thats hard or semi hard,

knuckle bones, kibble that has not been soaked, rib bones or marrow bones

my oldest dogs have had dry food for what 13 years now,

there teeth are fine, all of them get the occasional rec bones or sometimes chicken frames,

all except our bruno, who pukes the frames back up again.

, its also the effect on the dogs teeth.

Actualy your wrong there, what affects dogs teeth is when people give dogs mainly soft food only,

eg, they soak the kibble to much,

if you only ever fed raw meat, then your dogs would have bad teeth,

what helps dogs teeth is crunching anything thats hard or semi hard,

knuckle bones, kibble that has not been soaked, rib bones or marrow bones

my oldest dogs have had dry food for what 13 years now,

there teeth are fine, all of them get the occasional rec bones or sometimes chicken frames,

all except our bruno, who pukes the frames back up again.

chook, think about it, if kibble contains sugars such as glucose, fructose, sucrose etc how is that going to clean the teeth? Kibble becomes a sludge which coats the teeth leading to plaque and tartar.

No problem with giving dogs bones but knuckle bones and marrow bones can be too hard and damage teeth.

Dont see why some dog owners seem to think that feeding their dogs a raw meaty bones diet is some kind of latest fad or hippy dippy thing.

Its what most peoples parents/grandparents did and what we have done for hundreds of years.

Why is it that over the last 20 years or so, we need to clean our dogs teeth or buy "special" teeth cleaning sticks.

Didn't need to before did we?

Remember what dog poo looked like when you were a kid?

Compare with the reddy brown smelly sticky piles that most dogs give out.

Look at the ingredients on your processed food and try and decipher what the hell is in there, cos if you haven't got a clue then why are you feeding it to your dogs.

Edited by kiz
chook, think about it, if kibble contains sugars such as glucose, fructose, sucrose etc how is that going to clean the teeth? Kibble becomes a sludge which coats the teeth leading to plaque and tartar.

No problem with giving dogs bones but knuckle bones and marrow bones can be too hard and damage teeth.

Dont see why some dog owners seem to think that feeding their dogs a raw meaty bones diet is some kind of latest fad or hippy dippy thing.

Its what most peoples parents/grandparents did and what we have done for hundreds of years.

Why is it that over the last 20 years or so, we need to clean our dogs teeth or buy "special" teeth cleaning sticks.

Didn't need to before did we?

Remember what dog poo looked like when you were a kid?

Compare with the reddy brown smelly sticky piles that most dogs give out.

Look at the ingredients on your processed food and try and decipher what the hell is in there, cos if you haven't got a clue then why are you feeding it to your dogs.

When our parents/grandparents fed there dogs it was either scraps from the dinner plate/ tinned food or bones from the butchers,

as there wasnt many options in food for dogs in them days, i do remember getting off the school bus every friday,

to go and collect the bones the butcher gave us for free, the white poo of yesteryear was because people fed to much bone,

the same happens today with people feeding raw - ive seen quite a few posts from people saying they think theres something wrong with there dog,

because either there poos white, or they are bunged up, opasate happens as well, the dogs poos yellow or they have the runs,

feeding to much meat or fat and not enough bones, my dogs maybe being fed dried food - but i can assure you there poos are not red smelly sticky piles at all, they are easy to pick up and are small, there teeth are fine and have never needed a dental or have i ever had to clean them.