My new knife

I have had a new knife made for me from my own design,it has been made primarily for stalking as a bit of an alrounder(gralloch/skinner)it has just been christened on a Buck this evening,and,it coped admirably with the gralloch.It has an 01 tool steel blade,and,as such it will hold a razor sharp edge for ages,and,will be easy to freshen up.The only downside to 01 tool steel is that you have to look after it alot more than the stainless stuff,as it will rust if you don't oil it when not in use,and,you must never leave the knife in the sheath either as leather draws in moisture.The sheath is a 'dangler' type,and,although I was unsure about that at first,it is a perfect job,and,doesn't get in the way,I also had a popper put on the side to hold the blade in,and,I have had it put on the back as well so it doesn't get caught on a branch and open it up and lose the knife.Anyway,here it is..............

Deerknife001.jpg

Deerknife002.jpg

Martin.

I have had a new knife made for me from my own design,it has been made primarily for stalking as a bit of an alrounder(gralloch/skinner)it has just been christened on a Buck this evening,and,it coped admirably with the gralloch.It has an 01 tool steel blade,and,as such it will hold a razor sharp edge for ages,and,will be easy to freshen up.The only downside to 01 tool steel is that you have to look after it alot more than the stainless stuff,as it will rust if you don't oil it when not in use,and,you must never leave the knife in the sheath either as leather draws in moisture.The sheath is a 'dangler' type,and,although I was unsure about that at first,it is a perfect job,and,doesn't get in the way,I also had a popper put on the side to hold the blade in,and,I have had it put on the back as well so it doesn't get caught on a branch and open it up and lose the knife.Anyway,here it is..............

Deerknife001.jpg

Deerknife002.jpg

Martin.

looks very smart mate

Thats a nice looking Knife you have there, true enough tool (or most carbon) steels will require more attention but will as you say pay you back with an edge that stays sharper for longer.

Glad to see you have gone for a drop point design too, it never fails to amaze me how many people use a clip point for gralloching and are surprised when the blades point knicks the animals bladder or other internal organ, doubtless why many clip points come with a blood channel / cutout in the blade.

Nice knife

all the best

fin and fur

nice knife Martin, can you get blanks in that steel for making other knives...i am looking and have ordered a stainless blank to put a handle on but i would like a non stainless blade as well...

ATB

nice knife Martin, can you get blanks in that steel for making other knives...i am looking and have ordered a stainless blank to put a handle on but i would like a non stainless blade as well...

ATB

Have a look on this forum mate................

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39321

Martin