Dirty ears

My new kit has brown greasy muck coming from its ears,so much as to get woodshavings stuck to them.

I got it from a bloke that i used to go ferreting with and it was alive with fleas when i picked it up.

ive frontlined it as i do my other ferrets and the flea problems gone but still dirty ears,could this be ear mites and if so what do i do?can i use the stuff that ive used on dogs ear mites or is it a trip to the vets?

Ive seen this problem on a mates ferret, he used cotton buds with dipped in some ear cleaning ointment that kills mites and this soon cleared the problem up.

Ill try to find out what this was and ill let you know.

Hi stevesel

We run a ferret rescue and we use beaphar Ear Cleaner on the ferrets. Easy to use, just squeese a couple of drops into the ear and gently massage the ear from the outside, the ferret then shakes his head which dislodges the ear wax/crap, you might need to do this a couple of times if the ear is very dirty, you then just wipe the ear clean with a piece of tissue or cotton ball, the wife says you should never use cotton buds or poke anything into the ear this could damage the ear lining. We use this all the time the ferrets dont seem to mind having their ears massaged.

If your ferret is shaking his head and looks in distress or the ear is red and hot a trip to the vets is in order.

IMPO I would not use the dog ear mite stuff on the ferrets until I had consulted the vet.

FT

Get some "Thornite" from vet or pet shop.

You would never poke things in your own ears so why do it to a ferret! Poor feckers, you'll end up ramming the muck further down the canal :sick: Only use the cotton bud on the outer ear if you really have to :)

if you clean the ears clean em well then check the next day and the next day, and make sure its not a infection or similar, i had a jill who got an infected ear a whil eback, cleaned her ear and next day looked like it was the day before

I would take the ferret to the vets asap, if its earmites they will prescribe somethink like canoral & you will probably be advised to bring enough home to treat all your ferrets

I wouldnt use cotton buds either, if the ears just turn out to be dirty use an ear wipe , you can get them from most good pet shops.

if it is earmites the ferret will probably be scratching its self silly