What cross for woodland?

Had a beddy whippet that was great in woodland, she still got killed one day when she slipped on moss and broke her neck on a branch while coming to terms with a charlie, ive had dogs of all sizes that have worked woodland and in my view a whippet or whippetx be it beddy or collie take some beating, others may disagree but thats my experience. At the end of the day woodland coursing can be a heart stopping dangerous buisness. :big_boss:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent clue about a good woodland dog but mate had a colliexwippitxgrey when we go lamping i have seen hear go in after rabbits and she had a few like that so i would say something like on those sort of lines a bit of savy and abite of speed but not to much

Dont need to be small for cover, just a little agile. Seen some outstanding 3/8 5/8 bull x catch a wide range of things in cover. Clever, nimble and an excellent nose to hunt on. Only trouble is battling through miles of trees to find them when they catch :clapper:

have to get there fast , or theres not much worth saving , :D ........ eating stewed meat all the time wears a little thin after a while :thumbs:

Yes mate, luckily mine mostly bites one certain area and loses all interest when its dead. so not to much damage. :D

I have had two dogs in all the years i have kept them and the two that come to greif were saluki hybreds a collie hybred i had never so mutch as got a scratch.But the bedlington hybred pup[6 months old] i have at the minute will run and crash about in woodland with the springers without as much as a knock.But i still put it down to familirarity from a young age with that type of ground.atb

To a certain extent it depends on the type of woodland. The woodland where I live, South Hampshire, is very dense with very little view of the woodland floor thanks to brambles, bracken, hazel stools etc. I catch more rabbits in these conditions with my kelpies than I ever did with previous lurchers. If I had to go for a lurcher in these conditions (ie if I wanted something for outside the wood too as my dogs are too slow for this) I'd prefer something small, nippy, agile and clever with a good coat.

i saw one run over ground i wouldnt take a motorbike over, and the bitch caught her hare.

i would love to own and hunt one but the money always puts me off.

i cant save up £700 and spend it on a dog :(

You are not by your self their theirs a member on this site who walks two nr me and probably thinks i am a nut case [bANNED TEXT] i admired them.atvb