what is the most common scope size?

hi guys

i am trying to find out what is the most common scope size you guys use.

please post what mag and size you use

6 x 42 in my opinion is the best you can get, fantastic for Deer and Fox, the old saying bigger is better BULLCRAP, wonder how many out there have variable scopes but never use the variable, just set it at a fixed magnification and leaveit, you all know who you are.Rule of thumb multiply magnification by 7 and if its the same as the objective YOU HAVE A DECENT SCOPE ie:6x7=42 8x7=56.

I use a 6.5x20x44 on my 17 hmr but usually only use from 8x20 for spotting and the 6.5 for shooting unless is a long range buny etc hat im not seeing right at 6.5 ,although would really like to try 1 of these high end fixed german scopes to see how good they are.

thanks for the replies

i just wanted to get some idea of what the best or most used scope was for all situations,fixed mag or not.

going to get a few in soon but dont want to get stuck with a load of scopes that no one wants.

Just don't get cheap chinese ones.

Any good make from 40 to 50mm & between 6 to 12 mag is a fair ave'.

Depends on your intended market.

Beginers buy cheap scopes that sound good.

Experianced guys allready have good scopes & climbing the quality ladder.

When a newbie askes what scope to get the answer will be avoid cheap scopes.

I use a 6.5x20x44 on my 17 hmr but usually only use from 8x20 for spotting and the 6.5 for shooting unless is a long range buny etc hat im not seeing right at 6.5 ,although would really like to try 1 of these high end fixed german scopes to see how good they are.

I have one for sale in the scopes for sale section docter 6x42 £300 i live in edinburgh not far from you :clapper:

Any talk of a best scope for all situations is utter madness, there is not and cannot be any such thing. Ultimately, the best cover for all situations is to have a scope with huge magnification range, top notch optics and probably target or tactical type turrets.

Only problem with that is that they all weigh quite a bit. Even then, do you get glass quality (Zeiss) or adjustment range (Nightforce)? You could go even further and get US Optics, which is more of a blend of the two AFAIK. But is that the best scope for all situations?

Nope! They're all huge, why would you need that on a deer rifle? You most likely wouldn't unless you're shooting the deer half a mile away!!

Would you want that on a rimfire? Nope... Far too much scope.

Ultimately, I have a massive difference in the scopes I have for my rifles. On my target guns I have large adjustment ranges and high mag, Nightforce and Leupold there. On my Hornet, currently an 8x56 Schmidt. 223 gets whatever's left :)

i have a old tasco on my 22lr 3x9x40 fixed never have to touch it and is spot on i have a S & B on my 243 40 or 46 mag not sure does the job on deer/fox .and unsure of make on my 222 unnamed but spot on 56 mag again no need to touch it . just 2 rounds each each trip to be sure i am still in the same feild .i think the best scope you can get is the one that suits yourself .

thanks for the replies

i just wanted to get some idea of what the best or most used scope was for all situations,fixed mag or not.

going to get a few in soon but dont want to get stuck with a load of scopes that no one wants.

Just don't get cheap chinese ones.

Any good make from 40 to 50mm & between 6 to 12 mag is a fair ave'.

Depends on your intended market.

Beginers buy cheap scopes that sound good.

Experianced guys allready have good scopes & climbing the quality ladder.

When a newbie askes what scope to get the answer will be avoid cheap scopes.

dont worry they will be a few make in the line up

zeiss

nikon

bushnell

nikko sterling

mtc

ags