laser for rats?

as some of you may be aware i am currently modifying my ratcatcher to be a good low budget rat busting machine.

i was wndering if a laser would be a good addition to the system offering quicker target aquisition and quicker shooting, not snap shooting before you say it

any of you guys usedlaser for this before and if so are they any good?

as some of you may be aware i am currently modifying my ratcatcher to be a good low budget rat busting machine.

i was wndering if a laser would be a good addition to the system offering quicker target aquisition and quicker shooting, not snap shooting before you say it

Only thing with laser is the fact you are relying on the dot & not your true line of sight, so if you are not holding steady you will miss, I have seen many a farmer son working the laser around the feed store or milking shed & missing as many as he shot, you cannot beat realiable fixed iron sights at short range it encourages good hand eye coordinaton.

foxon.

Only thing with laser is the fact you are relying on the dot & not your true line of sight, so if you are not holding steady you will miss, I have seen many a farmer son working the laser around the feed store or milking shed & missing as many as he shot, you cannot beat realiable fixed iron sights at short range it encourages good hand eye coordinaton.

foxon.

it is to be used in conjunction with a 4x32 scope so open sights are not realy an option, especially now the ratty has a heffing gurt silencer on the front.

i have used a laser before,well tried?.if you are gonna get one make sure its a good make as the one i had was crap! and trying to zero it to your scope is a nightmare!! :censored: for close range static shooting i would of thought they are OK ,but you will have to get a tactical one buddy

have a look here

http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/haw...aser-sight.html

not for me! im afraid

regards

davy

Guest Scuba1

I think, that cheap lasers are a waste of time and money. As at 20 yards the projected dot can range in size from 2 inches to about the size of one of the smaller moons of Jupiter and if you shine them in the eyes of a rat, the are of at about the speed of light. IMHO a low magnification red dot kind of sight would be the better bet.

ATB

Michael

Guest Scuba1
ok then lads maybe not i will give that one a miss and spend me money on some pellets and some new wheels for my longboard woo!

atb

rob

A wise move I think.

ATB

Michael

check out ebay for a boggo standard 5-10 quid laser with adjuster screws for zero'ing...

then attach (preferably) above the bore center as close as you can get to it.

then open chairgun and have a look where to zero it so its on the pellet tragectry from about 2 yards to about 20/25 yards depending on pellet and caliber...

the shoot from the hip if you so desire.

i used one for three month with night vision goggles, didnt fire a shot from the shoulder the whole time. i even had the laser on the side of the barrel not on top.... it will work below but you'll lose more on the tragectry the further under it is...

once youve got a zero range to set to, put something up tp zero,then remember where on the scope ret the spot apears and hey presto, no need to fire a shot to zero at any other time(unless your scope set changes of course).

cheap red lasers get a huge spot the further away they are but at 20 yards it'll cover the rats head but still usuable as an aim point....if its too bright at night take one of the three cells out.... (especialy for NV kit).

youll need a class 111 red or green to much further than 20 yards in the day time, unless its a dark overcast day, the problem with the green lasers is they are visable all the way along the beam at night, they use them as 'star pointers'.

Edited by ghillies

My opinion would be buy a green laser as they are much more visible in daylight and a damn sight more fun and impressive looking at night. Sight t in at the same range as your scope and in effect when you are out and about and not sure of distance you can use it to a certain extent as a rangefinder ie if the dot is below the cross hairs you are closer than your set zero and if it is higher than you are further away. Have fun what ever you choose and let us all know how you got on.

th egreen lasers off ebay(and the equivilent red) have a flat face zero system, three points...an dshit yes! try and zero that thign if you can, alas for range finding you need it to be a good 8 inch plus before its even worth the minute ret difference...try 20+ inchs....

make sure the laser has screws ion the side, some have two like a scope, some have 4, thats 2 too lock it there against the adjusters, problem is when its mounted close to the barrel or against the cylinder on the action the stop screws arent accesable...

deffo set to the tragectry, because for ratting theyre by your feet at some point..2-15 or 20 yards max unless you've set up a bait at 30.... the main point being at 3 yards have you tried guessing off the scope low? lol.... about a 17 yard laser zero as an aim point... leave your narmal scope zero as it is, then remember where on the ret the dot apears, sooooooooooooooooo much more simple with chairgun....!

have a look on the poi charts, set the laser line so theres about half inch above below ..... guesing and trying it takes a couple weeks of set up,try it...not quite right...try a tweek etc etc etc...............................

a thirty yard laser zero (with the cheap lasers) the dots that big its no use as an aim point..looks good though lolol.....(big tip is keep the laser forward and not on the scope if posable....)

i'll do a couple charts latter...

Silencer on a ratcatcher ?I thought it was a waste of time trying to silence 7ft/lb as it was so slow as to not be affected by the silencer .May be wrong but always a first time :whistling:

well i think mine is running at about 10ft/lbs and the silencer maes a huge difference when ratting and shooting ferals so yeah you are wrong :angel: