WHEN TO START MY GIRL

i was wondering if anyone would know the best time to enter my dog fully onto rabbits. she is 9 months old and has had a couple of rabbits on the walk down a farm i know she retrieves them live to hand witch i am very pround of as it is my first dog due to i am only 15 and was wondering whot would be the best time to enter her to rabbits she is a three quarter whippet quarter greyhound she stands 23 inch to the shoulder any help would be great. :signthankspin:

i would say once september comes and yer bitch is 10 months, start taking her out most nights and as the saying goes( let the dog see the rabbit), dont over do it and run her into the ground, after she's caught about 3 or 4 make that do for the night, and go home, giving her loads of praise.

:good:

Guest Nightwalker
id get her lampinn nw on the grass feilds and run her on sum youngens but like hairy face sed dont over do it :good:

I dont know where you are, but I'm in the Thames Valley and the ground is like concrete, you'd have to be a moron to start running a fast dog like a whippet/grey on such hard ground.

Guest moomin300uk
i would say once september comes and yer bitch is 10 months, start taking her out most nights and as the saying goes( let the dog see the rabbit), dont over do it and run her into the ground, after she's caught about 3 or 4 make that do for the night, and go home, giving her loads of praise.

hairy face when would you up the pace?? do you just build it up slowly ??

hairy face when would you up the pace?? do you just build it up slowly ??

yeah just take it easy, and slowly increase it as the weeks go by, you are far better going out 4nights a week and get 3 or 4 per night and make that do, rather than going out twice a week and giving her 15+ runs a night, also you dont want dishearten the pup, try and get as many "easy" runs as possible early in the season and build the pups confidence, but you know your dog best mate, she'll probably let you know when she's ready to up the anti, personsly i dont give them a hard 1st season, its there second season i work them hard, when they are physically and mentally stronger...all the best :good:

Guest ADAM AND HIS DOGS

COME SEPTEMBER LITTLE AND OFTEN. THEN ONCE YOU GET PAST 18 MONTHS UP IT A GEAR TIL PASSED TWO YEARS ONCE FULLY MATURE U SHOULD KNOW WHEN TO CALL TIME ON THE LAST RUN OF THE DAY/ NIGHT.